Old 28-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Josh

Default solenoid

ok, i have done all my research and have now figured out that I can set up a
pressurized Co2 system pretty cheap by jsut getting a dual guage reg from a
beer supply, etc... the only difference I can really see between the JBJ and
this is that the JBJ comes with the solenoid. Do I need that solenoid???
What options do I have if I dont have a solenoid... do you just run an
airline with air stone into the tank at night??? or is it just better to get
it with the solenoid...??? all comments greatly appricated - thnax, Josh

Old 28-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

aquaticeco.com has a CO2 regulator and solenoid for a combined price
of $69. Thats a pretty good price! I just came across it a few days ago.
Part# is AZ19002

news

Old 28-08-2003, 03:22 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

We have the ones with regulator, bubble counter and solenoid fo 75

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:58:32 GMT, "Ghazanfar Ghori"
wrote:

aquaticeco.com has a CO2 regulator and solenoid for a combined price
of $69. Thats a pretty good price! I just came across it a few days ago.
Part# is AZ19002

"Josh" wrote in message
news
ok, i have done all my research and have now figured out that I can set up

pressurized Co2 system pretty cheap by jsut getting a dual guage reg from

beer supply, etc... the only difference I can really see between the JBJ

and
this is that the JBJ comes with the solenoid. Do I need that solenoid???
What options do I have if I dont have a solenoid... do you just run an
airline with air stone into the tank at night??? or is it just better to

get
it with the solenoid...??? all comments greatly appricated - thnax, Josh

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Eheim 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

WEBBOARD

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 28-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Giancarlo Podio

I bought a redhat solenoid from eBay for only $5 but ended taking it
off in the long run. I use a power reactor and have that connected to
my light timer, the CO2 is on 24/7 but it's no big deal seeing it's
cheap to refill and lasts a long time. I also bought my tank and
regulator from eBay ($35) but my local fire extinguisher company who
refills it for me also had some really good deals on used tanks and
regulators. I used the Clippard needle valve to regulate the CO2, not
the best in fine adjustment but it works and so far it has held a
steady rate, just needs a little fiddling around with at first to get
the bubble rate you are looking for. The main reason for removing the
solenoid was to eliminate some cables under the tank and at the same
time I wasn't thrilled about the heat it generated (even though the
heat probably helps dissolve the CO2 better). If you plan on using a
PH controller then it's a must, otherwise you can always put your
reactor on a timer and save some money.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Old 29-08-2003, 01:14 AM

(even though the
heat probably helps dissolve the CO2 better).

Seems right at first:
But no, the colder the water, the more gas it is able to hold in
solution at equilibrium.
Colder water has more O and CO2 or any atomspheric gas everything else
being equal.

If you plan on using a
PH controller then it's a must, otherwise you can always put your
reactor on a timer and save some money.
Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

You can use a powerhead to run the system and use a controller with
that instead of a solenoid. The gas will burp out and be wasted is
all.

Solenoid's main usage for practical matters in planted tanks seems
best suited for larger tanks/multiple tank set ups to save the CO2 gas
in the bottle.

Still, planted tanks use CO2 to supply the plants with ample CO2, pH
controllers do not maintain any better control in every planted tank I
have seen or had vs a needle valve and no control(24-7) and what
happens at night doesn't matter much as far as the plants are
concerned. They just want CO2 when the lights are on.

Hydroponic places sell them and ebay etc. 40$ or less is a decent
price for a nice new one.
I'm thinking about one for my multiple tank set up but it'll take
about 6 years to make my $ back in gas savings provided the solenoid
last that long.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 03-09-2003, 10:42 AM
Robert H

"Josh" wrote in message ...
ok, i have done all my research and have now figured out that I can set up a
pressurized Co2 system pretty cheap by jsut getting a dual guage reg from a
beer supply, etc... the only difference I can really see between the JBJ and
this is that the JBJ comes with the solenoid. Do I need that solenoid???
What options do I have if I dont have a solenoid... do you just run an
airline with air stone into the tank at night??? or is it just better to get
it with the solenoid...??? all comments greatly appricated - thnax, Josh

The JBJ regulator has a fixed working pressure, so there is nothing to
ajust as far as pressure. Besides a solenoid, it also has a needle
valve and a bubble counter.

The milwaukee regulator also has a solenoid, bubblecounter, and needle
valve, but its not a fixed working pressure.

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com