Old 02-09-2003, 09:04 PM
ferlin husky

Default Advice for new planted tank.

Hey guys! I am wanting to convert my 30gal aquarium into a lush planted
tank. I have a eclipse hood and this weekend I squeezed into it a 55w pc
fixture. Is this enough light that CO2 would be needed to ensure healthy,
growing plants? I would like to grow a nice variety of plants not just a
couple low-light varieties. I don't want to spend the extra money on CO2 if
it would not be beneficial. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks!

Old 03-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Dinky

"ferlin husky" wrote in message
Hey guys! I am wanting to convert my 30gal aquarium into a lush planted
tank. I have a eclipse hood and this weekend I squeezed into it a 55w pc
fixture. Is this enough light that CO2 would be needed to ensure healthy,
growing plants? I would like to grow a nice variety of plants not just a
couple low-light varieties. I don't want to spend the extra money on CO2

if
it would not be beneficial. Anyone have any advice?
Thanks!

That's not what I'd consider a huge amount of light, IIRC lighting somewhere
in excess of 2 watts per gallon is where one should consider CO2 being
*required*. It can produce some spectacular results, though. Consider using
DIY CO2 for a few months to see if the results please you. If you really
want a spectacular tank, you might look at more light.
As far as other advice, consider your substrate carefully. It's
definately a YMMV subject, I prefer a plain sand sub, others like flourite,
or peat with gravel, and so on.
Have you read: http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html ?

good luck!, post pics in .binaries if you can!

Old 03-09-2003, 02:22 AM
ferlin husky

Consider using
DIY CO2 for a few months to see if the results please you.

That is a good idea. I actually have a tank that I use for homebrew.
Maybe I could use it as a test before I run out and get another.

If you really
want a spectacular tank, you might look at more light.

I wish I could but the eclipse hood is really holding me back. You
should of seen what I hade to do to fit the 55w pc bulb and reflector into
it!

As far as other advice, consider your substrate carefully. It's
definitely a YMMV subject, I prefer a plain sand sub, others like

flourite,
or peat with gravel, and so on.

I think I'm going to go with fourite.

Have you read: http://faq.thekrib.com/plant.html ?

Great site! I have been reading tons of info. My first hurdle was the
lighting retrofit. CO2 was the next thing I was going to concentrate on
but perhaps I should do the fourite and plants next. Then I will see if I
even need the added CO2.

good luck!, post pics in .binaries if you can!

I would post some now but it is not that exciting at the moment. I
definitely will when I get the plants all in there!

Thanks for the advice!

Ferlin

Old 03-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Dinky

I would post some now but it is not that exciting at the moment. I
definitely will when I get the plants all in there!

Well, speaking for myself, the whole process is exciting. If you're not to
self-conscious of mess, a play-by-play would be terrific