Old 05-09-2003, 04:32 PM
gizmo

Default Amazon Sword Plant

Could this plant be in a constant battle for nutrients in other plants ?
Or I m just worried too much as it grow really slow.
I have a 100 planted tank. other plants are doing just fine.... Recently
I've introduced it among cabomba and miriphilium... both are doing
great.....
PH 7.2 GH of 7
10x

Gizmo

Old 05-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Dave Millman

gizmo wrote:

Could this plant be in a constant battle for nutrients in other plants ?
Or I m just worried too much as it grow really slow.
I have a 100 planted tank. other plants are doing just fine.... Recently
I've introduced it among cabomba and miriphilium... both are doing
great.....
PH 7.2 GH of 7
10x

Swords are root feeders. They also tend to grow slow until their roots are
established, then they take off. Substrate feeding helps, many people
recommend Jobes Spikes for ferns and palms, but if you use them make sure
NEVER to dig them up, or their ammonium content may spur an algae outbreak.

Old 06-09-2003, 06:19 AM
Racf

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
gizmo wrote:

Could this plant be in a constant battle for nutrients in other

plants ?
Or I m just worried too much as it grow really slow.
I have a 100 planted tank. other plants are doing just fine....

Recently
I've introduced it among cabomba and miriphilium... both are doing
great.....
PH 7.2 GH of 7
10x

Swords are root feeders. They also tend to grow slow until their roots

are
established, then they take off. Substrate feeding helps, many people
recommend Jobes Spikes for ferns and palms, but if you use them make

sure
NEVER to dig them up, or their ammonium content may spur an algae

outbreak.

I use the Jobes spikes on my Swords and have a comment concerning the
placement. I fed a sword for a couple years by placing the spike
directly under it. When I decided to move this plant I noticed the
roots had all grown in a circle around where I would put the spike. I
had a fist sized root blob. So I learned to put the spike(s) a bit away
from the plant and to use several as to allow a more diverse root
structure.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Dinky

"gizmo" wrote in message
What are Jobes ???
10x

A brand of terrestrial plant food that comes in 3" sticks, but the type
marketed for Ferns and Palms works great for aquatic root feeders. Should be
available at some garden centers, I'm not sure if it's marketed outside the
US.