Old 06-09-2003, 02:52 AM
NetMax

Default OT, oxygenation, was Reverse Osmosis Question...

I don't understand the statement made by Sneaks:
".....also.....slower water flow allows more O2 to be introduced

into the water on external filter systems"

I'm not sure I understand gizmo either, so maybe I'm having a brain-dead
day.

From my understanding, oxygen gets into water from contact with air which
has a higher O2 content than what's already in the water. The greater
the surface area contact, the more opportunity for this process to occur.
The better the circulation transporting lower oxygen water to replace
higher oxygen water at the surface, the more efficiently all the water is
re-oxygenated. The only time oxygen is added to water in a closed
filtration system is AFAIK, when water is intentionally crashed into
itself (like 2 tank drains meeting in a T connector). This causes air
entrapment which increases the surface area exposed to higher oxygen
levels. This process's efficiency (which is more typically used on
commercial or industrial set-ups) improves as you increase the collision
rate, increasing the entrapment %, but may cause unsightly bubbles
sticking to surfaces in the aquarium. That's all I know.

NetMax

"gizmo" wrote in message
Well there is a point here regarding the O2 specially when filters are
replaced and O2 enters the system hence will effect the output...
BUT..... shouldn't take too long and the O2 is out of the system.....

In any
case the effects are minor....
"NetMax" wrote in message
. ..

"Sneaks" wrote in message
et...

"Boris" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Water pressure sometimes dictates how efficient these systems

will
work.
SNIP

With that in mind.....certain filtration devices work better with

slower,
steady pressure....especially bio devices

Could you explain or provide an example of the statement below?

.....also.....slower water flow
allows more O2 to be introduced into the water on external filter
systems.....just my .02

thanks!
NetMax

Sneaks