Old 11-09-2003, 08:12 PM

Default Low, LOW light options

I have recently setup a 125 gal tank I'd had in storage for quite a while.
I never kept plants in it before. Somehow, over the years, the original 1
tube hood/light cover got ruined. I build a new, flip top out of plywood.

Have you seen the prices on 6' long high-output systems? I'd have to take a
mortgage out to finance my hobby? So, I'm putting in more generic lighting
and will get about 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon.

I'd like to plant the tank for some of the healthier properties of having
live plants in an aquarium provide. What species of plants could live in
such a low-light environment? Here are a few of the species that I THINK
might work. Can I get your input?

Anubias barteri
cryptocoryne crispatula
cryptocoryne wendtii
vallisneria asiatica
hygrophilia polysperma
Java fern
Java moss
sagitaria subulata

Thanks,
Todd

Old 11-09-2003, 08:22 PM
RedForeman ©®

"t" wrote in message
om...
I have recently setup a 125 gal tank I'd had in storage for quite a while.
I never kept plants in it before. Somehow, over the years, the original 1
tube hood/light cover got ruined. I build a new, flip top out of plywood.

Have you seen the prices on 6' long high-output systems? I'd have to take

mortgage out to finance my hobby? So, I'm putting in more generic lighting
and will get about 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon.

I'd like to plant the tank for some of the healthier properties of having
live plants in an aquarium provide. What species of plants could live in
such a low-light environment? Here are a few of the species that I THINK
might work. Can I get your input?

Anubias barteri - Yes, and try Nana, smaller, and finer leaves
cryptocoryne crispatula - yes, but needs iron I think
cryptocoryne wendtii - it'll grow ok, more light, it'll be a weed...
vallisneria asiatica ??
hygrophilia polysperma ??
Java fern - Very nice in low light..
Java moss ??
sagitaria subulata ??

Thanks,
Todd

Old 11-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Victor M. Martinez

t wrote:
mortgage out to finance my hobby? So, I'm putting in more generic lighting
and will get about 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon.

Use CF and aim for that. You'll be fine.

live plants in an aquarium provide. What species of plants could live in
such a low-light environment? Here are a few of the species that I THINK
might work. Can I get your input?

I have a 110 gallon tank with 1 W/gallon of CF light. I have grown several
so-called medium-high light plants, including swords, cabomba, sunset hygro,
crypts, aponogetons, etc.
My suggestion would be to get a package from one of the websites folks here
have had good luck with (see google for the urls), and see what lives and
what dies. That's what I did and the tank is gorgeous!

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 11-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Cris

The following do well in my tank at 1.5wpg regular flourescent:
Hydrocoytle leucocephala
Aponogeton
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Saggitaria sublata
Vallisneria spiralis and natans
Echinodorus amazonicus
Water sprite
Nymphaea lotus
Amazon frogbit (I think)
Bacopa caroliniana (floating - not enough light for planted)
Anubias nana
Java fern
Lemna minor (but believe me - you do NOT want this! It's a pest)

What didn't survive for lack of light:
Bacopa
Ludwigia repens
Rotala wallichii
Myriophyllum
Alternanthera reineckii

Cris

Old 12-09-2003, 01:50 AM
Dan Norgard

Of those you mentioned I have :
Anubias barteri
cryptocoryne wendtii
Java fern
Java moss

and they are doing quite well at 1.5w/gal, no co2 and a Flourite substrate.
Dan

om...

Old 12-09-2003, 02:51 AM

You might find it more prudent to down size your plan here if $ is an
issue.
Try a 20-55 gallon tank etc.

Shop lights will work well, so will electronic ballast and DIY
installations and mylar for reflective material etc. You should be
able to get 240w of T-12's(6 x40w) in there no problem. That's enough
light for most anything you'll want to do.

Use CO2?
You can try to DIY but anything over a 55 gal is tough to do and a gas
tank CO2 would be the best thing to improve growth/health. Even at
1-1.5 w/gal, adding CO2 will make the tank do much better.

I'd like to plant the tank for some of the healthier properties of having
live plants in an aquarium provide.

Well then focus on the plants rather than limiting by not enough
light/CO2 etc. You want healthy plants then grow the plants well.

Don't expect there to be a plant that does well submersed, little
light, no CO2 added and lots of fish. Be realistic here.
Plants need light, CO2 and nutrients to grow well, nothing else is
going to change that.

What species of plants could live in
such a low-light environment? Here are a few of the species that I THINK
might work. Can I get your input?

They will poke along. Adding Excel, CO2 etc will help a great deal.
DIY hood will also make it easy to add as much light as you want.

You don't need a PC lighting set up but if you want to look around, AH
supply has good deals.

Try the DIY hood, look around for CO2 tanks/reg's etc.
The plant cuttings can pay for these items quickly FYI.

Regards.,
Tom Barr

Anubias barteri
cryptocoryne crispatula
cryptocoryne wendtii
vallisneria asiatica
hygrophilia polysperma
Java fern
Java moss
sagitaria subulata

Thanks,
Todd

Old 15-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Jim Seidman

"t" wrote in message . com...
I have recently setup a 125 gal tank I'd had in storage for quite a while.
I never kept plants in it before. Somehow, over the years, the original 1
tube hood/light cover got ruined. I build a new, flip top out of plywood.

Have you seen the prices on 6' long high-output systems? I'd have to take a
mortgage out to finance my hobby? So, I'm putting in more generic lighting
and will get about 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon.

I'm running a 125-gallon with 4 F25T8s on an electronic ballast, and
am having great success growing a variety of plants. No CO2 injection,
and I'm still pruning the faster-growing ones at least once a week.

The real fast growers are Limnophila sessiliflora and Vallisneria
spiralis. Bacopa monnieri is growly slowly but fine. Echinodorus
tenellus is slowly spreading. Floating Ceratopteris pteridoides does
great. Of course Christmas moss and Anubias have plenty of light.

I've read a number of articles that argue pretty compellingly that
larger tanks need fewer watts per gallon than smaller thanks.
Certainly my own experience seems to back that up. I don't think you
need to consider this a "Low, LOW light" setup.

- Jim
Old 16-09-2003, 02:26 AM
Dan Drake

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 18:10:30 UTC, "t"
wrote:

I have recently setup a 125 gal tank I'd had in storage for quite a while...
I'm putting in more generic lighting
and will get about 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon.

I'd like to plant the tank for some of the healthier properties of having
live plants in an aquarium provide. What species of plants could live in
such a low-light environment? Here are a few of the species that I THINK
might work. Can I get your input?

Here are reactions concerning a few species that I had with similar
lighting--

cryptocoryne wendtii

Grew fine, and will grow with less light.
C. pontideriifolia grew and got pretty large. I think it prefers low
light.

hygrophilia polysperma

I wouldn't try this without stronger light.
However, water sprite will grow in these conditions, just fitting its
growing speed to the
amount of light.

Java fern

In my book, the ultimate perfect plant for poor conditions. Just grows
steadily & uses what resources it can get. Propagates itself nicely. Old
leaves need trimming as they get ugly.

Java moss

Like java fern only more indestructible.

--

http://www.dandrake.com/

In the days after September 11, Yahoo searches for Nostradamus
outnumbered those for Osama bin Laden and Sex, combined.
Old 16-09-2003, 06:23 PM
Giancarlo Podio

(Jim Seidman) wrote in message . com...
"t" wrote in message . com...
I'm running a 125-gallon with 4 F25T8s on an electronic ballast, and
am having great success growing a variety of plants. No CO2 injection,
and I'm still pruning the faster-growing ones at least once a week.

The real fast growers are Limnophila sessiliflora and Vallisneria
spiralis. Bacopa monnieri is growly slowly but fine. Echinodorus
tenellus is slowly spreading. Floating Ceratopteris pteridoides does
great. Of course Christmas moss and Anubias have plenty of light.

I've read a number of articles that argue pretty compellingly that
larger tanks need fewer watts per gallon than smaller thanks.
Certainly my own experience seems to back that up. I don't think you
need to consider this a "Low, LOW light" setup.

- Jim

I agree, I have 3x32W T8 tubes with electronic ballast over my 90
gallon tank making it just over 1WPG. It's growing all the plants you
mentioned quite nicely with nothing more than a fish load and rich
substrate. My main suggestion would be to use a rich substrate, I used
Flourite with a little peat moss and crushed flourish tabs as the
first layer, the rest was just flourite topped with regular gravel to
change the color a little. The statement about larger tanks needing
less WPG makes sense as the height changes little when you get into
the larger tanks, spread is more of a concern IMO, reason why I
decided to use 3xT8 tubes rather than 2x55w CFs. I also prefer the
option to mix different bulbs together with more tubes. I would choose
CFs if I were going with higher WPG but for a low light tank such as
yours I would probably start with 4xT8 tubes, makes it much cheaper
and will give you a better spread. Invest in CO2 when you want to
spend the extra cash IMO.

Here's a pic of my 90g:
http://67.89.4.174/aqua/photos/09_2003/img_0021s.jpg

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Old 19-09-2003, 07:35 AM
James M K

The best choice in a low light plants.

Anubias barteri var. nana (dwarf anubias)
ceratophyllum (hornwort)
cryptocoryne affinis
cryptocoryne lutea
cryptoryne walkeri
egeria densa (eledea)
microsorium pteropus (java fen)
hydrophila corymbosa

salvinia auriculata (salvinia)

from encyclopedia of aquarium plants - Peter Hiscock.

Old 19-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Jim Seidman

"Dan Norgard" wrote in message ...
Where do you find the Christmas Moss??
Dan

It is pretty hard to find in the U.S. I got mine from Loh Kwek Leong
in Singapore. He had been trying to get his hands on some for a while
after seeing it in one of Amano's tanks. He couldn't find a source.
Then, by luck, he got a tiny bit mixed in with an order of Java Moss.
He carefully grew those few fronds into a large supply.

It's now pretty easy to find in Singapore. I don't know why it hasn't
caught on more in the U.S.

- Jim