Old 13-09-2003, 12:30 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Default Something killing my SAEs

Yesterday one of my mature SAE died. Just now I fished one out of the
tank. The rest are hiding in the large amazon sword. I did notice they
were "breathing" really fast lately, but I didn't think any of it because
all the other fish were acting normally. I just went back to check on them
and 2 of them are very pale, the other two have normal color. I tested the
water and it's all within normal parameters. I have no idea what could be
happening. The only change they've had in the past 4 months was a plant
re-arrangement. I pulled out 2 large swords and replaced them with little
ones, plus I removed most of the stem plants.
Any advise would be most appreciated.

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 13-09-2003, 05:42 AM
Liisa Sarakontu

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in
:

Yesterday one of my mature SAE died. Just now I fished one out of the
tank. The rest are hiding in the large amazon sword. I did notice they
were "breathing" really fast lately, but I didn't think any of it
because all the other fish were acting normally.

They are suffocating. When the oxygen level is down, SAEs are first to die
because they need more oxygen than normal fish, they come from fast flowing
rivers. Quickly add surface movement by adding a powerhead or placing the
one you have so that the water surface is really moving. The arranging of
plants and digging bottom might have something to do with oxygen imbalance
in your tank.

Liisa
Old 16-09-2003, 11:46 AM
-=Almazick=-

Might be to much CO2 and low Oxygen. Use air stone in your tank and
decrease the CO2 level

Old 16-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Victor M. Martinez

-=Almazick=- wrote:
Might be to much CO2 and low Oxygen. Use air stone in your tank and
decrease the CO2 level

I don't use CO2, actually. However, I'm glad to report the last 4 SAEs are
doing great. I did a large water change (just in case) and cleaned the
canister filter. It was very diry... I guess I have to feed less and/or clean
it more often.

Old 16-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Giancarlo Podio

I agree with the others, the fact that you have pulled out most of
your stem plants and replaced the two large swords with smaller ones
has probably greatly reduced the amount of oxygen being generated in
the tank. Perhaps you had a hot day or something similar that made
this condition even more stressing. I would increase surface agitation
in general or add an air stone until the plants are producing enough
oxygen again or you have added some fast growing stems or similar
plants. Glad to hear they were better after the water change.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio