Old 20-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Dick

Default Seltzer Water

I want to experiment with CO2. I read once that Seltzer water could be
used to add CO2 to the water. If this is feasible I wonder what would
be approximate formula for a 75 gallon tank. I found quarts at my
local market with no salt.
Old 20-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Racf

"Dick" wrote in message
I want to experiment with CO2. I read once that Seltzer water could be
used to add CO2 to the water. If this is feasible I wonder what would
be approximate formula for a 75 gallon tank. I found quarts at my
local market with no salt.

If you plan on adding supplemental CO2 to your aquarium to enhance plant
growth, then a steady and consistent supply is needed. Carbonated water
would add additional CO2 suddenly to a tank, but it would be quickly
exhausted......within an hour or so. So really this is not a feasible
choice. For a 75 gallon tank, your choices are limited to either a full
scale CO2 cylinder and associated gear or a large scale DIY yeast
reactor or commercial unit(s). The yeast reactors work better for
smaller tanks, which you do not have.

Old 20-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Philip Ash

"Racf" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Dick" wrote in message
I want to experiment with CO2. I read once that Seltzer water could be
used to add CO2 to the water. If this is feasible I wonder what would
be approximate formula for a 75 gallon tank. I found quarts at my
local market with no salt.

If you plan on adding supplemental CO2 to your aquarium to enhance plant
growth, then a steady and consistent supply is needed. Carbonated water
would add additional CO2 suddenly to a tank, but it would be quickly
exhausted......within an hour or so. So really this is not a feasible
choice. For a 75 gallon tank, your choices are limited to either a full
scale CO2 cylinder and associated gear or a large scale DIY yeast
reactor or commercial unit(s). The yeast reactors work better for
smaller tanks, which you do not have.

I used two of the hagen kits on my 75UK gal tank and noticed a big
improvement in my plant growth.
One made a noticable change, hence i bought a second. It may be a lower cost
way to experiment.

Phil.

Old 22-09-2003, 02:43 PM
RedForeman ©®

in a small aquarium, you could possibly see the benefits, but in a 75g, you
would have to add a teaspoon every 5minutes, for a whole day, to see any
evidence of the CO2 being added, because when you have a CO2 setup, you're
only putting in 2-3 bubbles per second, which equates to the smallest
amounts, your seltzer water couldn't shake a stick at...

Old 23-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Dave Millman

Philip Ash wrote:

I used two of the hagen kits on my 75UK gal tank and noticed a big
improvement in my plant growth.
One made a noticable change, hence i bought a second. It may be a lower cost
way to experiment.

The hagen unit is rated for a 20 gallon tank. Yes, two will add CO2, but if you
are targeting 20ppm, then you need at least four of them.

Yeast based systems are not really practical for tanks over 40 gallons.