Old 20-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Jayne Narvesen

Default Best bulb for 20 gal?

I just found this newsgroup and perhaps this question has been asked many
times...
I did my research on plants and purposely chose plants that will do well
with less light, and they are doing fine at this time. My tank is only a 20
gallon tall, but would like to know the best/brightest fluorescent bulb you
can get for a 20 gal hood. I know color and brightness can make a
difference. I can only have the one bulb as I am unable at this time to
upgrade anything but the bulb. Thanks

Old 20-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Bill Beam

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:13:21 GMT, "Jayne Narvesen"
wrote:

I just found this newsgroup and perhaps this question has been asked many
times...
I did my research on plants and purposely chose plants that will do well
with less light, and they are doing fine at this time. My tank is only a 20
gallon tall, but would like to know the best/brightest fluorescent bulb you
can get for a 20 gal hood. I know color and brightness can make a
difference. I can only have the one bulb as I am unable at this time to
upgrade anything but the bulb. Thanks

Try this:

http://www.esuweb.com/new_site/ccc_53004

Good lamp.

Old 21-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Jayne Narvesen

wrote:

I just found this newsgroup and perhaps this question has been asked many
times...
I did my research on plants and purposely chose plants that will do well
with less light, and they are doing fine at this time. My tank is only a

20
gallon tall, but would like to know the best/brightest fluorescent bulb

you
can get for a 20 gal hood. I know color and brightness can make a
difference. I can only have the one bulb as I am unable at this time to
upgrade anything but the bulb. Thanks

Try this:

http://www.esuweb.com/new_site/ccc_53004

Good lamp.

So are you talking about the 65 Watt Coralife 50/50 Fluorescent lamp or the
whole light strip- I was asking about the tube only- Thanks

Old 22-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Jayne Narvesen

[...]

so you have no recommendations for wattage on a fluorescent tube for
plants?

Old 22-09-2003, 09:02 PM
RedForeman ©®

so you have no recommendations for wattage on a fluorescent tube for
plants?

you'll be limited on wattage to 18 or 20 watts, limited by a 18" bulb...
you'll be limited on spectrum from 5000k to 6800k maybe you'll find one that
is 10000k, but probably not...

Be that as it may, you'll probably like anything in the 5000k to 6000k
range, as the higher bulbs can be yellowish to green, and the lower are more
white to blue.... I tend to want to stay on the lower side, the brighter or
yellower I go, I have algae probs, and CO2 has to be adjusted.....

Also, if you are changing bulbs, you'll run the risk of getting some hair
algae if your light has already lost all it's potency, and you add in a
brand new bulb.... sometimes decreasing your amount of light per day can
subside that....

Old 24-09-2003, 08:23 PM
~Vicki ~

Sorry it took me so long to respond Jayne, but we were kind of in the
dark here in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. For your tank set up I
would suggest a Ocean Sun 10,000K deep reef bulb by Zoo Med. They are
not 50/50 or actinic(sp?) bulbs but do a very good job on my two
low/moderate light tanks. They are a little pricy, but fit in your
stock lid without having to do any modifications. Hope this helps.

Vicki

250 gal, best pump Lyn Ponds 2 05-08-2005 02:56 PM
From BULB to SEED and back to BULB JandK23 Lawns 0 29-04-2005 04:06 PM
What metal halide mogul (screw in) bulb is best for plants? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-07-2004 02:06 PM
best bulb for 20 gal tank Dave Smith Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 16-02-2004 03:32 AM
best filter for 55-gal planted tank w/ CO2? Greg Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 08-01-2004 12:32 AM