Old 20-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Boris

Default Petrified Wood - PH

I have some petrified wood which I bought years ago and was thinking of
putting it in my planted tank.

From what I remember, it should not raise PH. I did a few searches on Google
and had some conflicting reports - but most suggested it is PH neutral.

Anyone using it in their planted tank?
cheers,
Boris

Old 21-09-2003, 03:03 AM
Cris

I've been curious about this, too. I used to have some that
discolored the water like my wellaby wood - so it's a possibility.
I'm sure there are different qualities of petrified wood, though. You
could put it in a bucket with a little water and take a ph reading in
a week. Let us know the results!
Cris

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:33:11 GMT, "Boris" wrote:

I have some petrified wood which I bought years ago and was thinking of
putting it in my planted tank.

From what I remember, it should not raise PH. I did a few searches on Google

Old 21-09-2003, 03:12 AM
madhavan

well i've heard tanin in the wood seeps into the water discolouring it.....
but ph changes not that i know off..
but u could boil it first before u use it...

Old 21-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Dinky

"madhavan " wrote in message
well i've heard tanin in the wood seeps into the water discolouring

it.....

Ah, I'm quite sure that once petrified, the tanin is long goneg

Old 22-09-2003, 02:24 AM
sexandcheerios

You have to worry about putting pertrified wood in the aqaurium about like
you would if you were using a stone. By the time it's petrified all the
organic material in the wood is replaced with minerals (usually silica which
is what they make glass with).

Old 22-09-2003, 02:24 AM
sexandcheerios

The reason this probably happened is high iron content in the petrified
wood. As the iron oxidized (rusted) it would color the water and also
possibly poison the fish.