Old 22-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Mark

Default Starting a 55 gal. plant tank, I have questions.

What type of substrate? the red flourite or the new black stuff I saw
at the l.f.s.? The lights are 4 65 watt cf's. ehiem 2015 cannister
filter. typical glass heater. no co2 plans yet. do I need the co2, and
if yes what is the best system? Any other info will be appreciated.

Thanks,MArk
Old 22-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Arnim

I'm still doing my research too but from what I've read, with that much
light, you are going to need CO2. You might want to try DIY CO2.

om...

Old 22-09-2003, 04:34 PM
RedForeman ©®

65
x 4
260 / 55 = 4.72 Watts per gallon, and yes, you'll need CO2 to keep algae
under control...

If you knock that down to half, you'll probably be ok and will be able to
grow just about anything...

WHat's the best? Cylinder, regulator, needle valve, and just don't get the
hagen co2 yeast based system... you can do a DIY that's better.....
om...

Old 24-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Dave Millman

Mark wrote:

What type of substrate? the red flourite or the new black stuff I saw
at the l.f.s.? The lights are 4 65 watt cf's. ehiem 2015 cannister
filter. typical glass heater. no co2 plans yet. do I need the co2, and
if yes what is the best system? Any other info will be appreciated.

Mark,

That is a lot of light. Perhaps too much to start with. Many of the most
experienced people here would say that is too much period. You will need
pressurized CO2 and lots of nutrients, see anything written by Tom Barr
for more information. Start he

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/fert/e...st_index1.html