Old 22-09-2003, 03:05 AM
Artur

Default Red Lotus moving in the tank

I have a big Red Lotus that I want to move in another section of the
tank. Is there a special procedure for doing it? I don't want to lose
this plant. It's simply too beautiful to do that. I will look for your
input in the near future. Thanks.

By the way, which plants would you also put in a 10 gallon tank? I
don't want these long stam plants as they get tangled and they look a
mess. Is a couple of Amazon swords ok? Maybe a couple of crypts and
anubias? I don't want algea boom...so far stam plants took most of the
ingredients, but once they are somewhat gone...which plants are hungry
easters of micro mutriets? Please advise on both issues.

Thanks,

Artur
Old 23-09-2003, 02:46 AM
Ðãve M. Picklyk

I don't know much about Red Lotus. However, I keep a 15 gallon tank & 48
gallon tank and would certainly forbid anyone from getting amazons for it.
These suckers can get 3 feet tall with proper lighting, ferts and
C02...they'd overcrowd a 10 gallon in minutes. Plus the leaves get so huge
that proper aquascaping is difficult for mingling other species in an
esthetic manner. I'd go with the java fern, and yes---anubias and crypts. No
plant out-competes algae like stem plants. Especially ones like Dwarf
hygrophila (Hygrophila polysperma) or the red ludwigia (ludwigia mulertii).
Water sprite is excellent as well.

www.picklyk.com/aquascape

om...

Old 23-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Djay

I'd agree about the A-Sword. I had one take over a 37 gal tank. I agree
that Anubius is slow growing - relative to stem plants, but in the right
conditions it sprawls pretty good too. I started with a single 2" plant
around 18 months ago and since have split it twice. One section is 18"
long - another is about 12" long now with leaves as big as my palm. Good
thing with that plant is it gets GREAT credit at the LFS!

DJay

"Ðãve M. Picklyk" wrote in message
.ca...
I don't know much about Red Lotus. However, I keep a 15 gallon tank & 48
gallon tank and would certainly forbid anyone from getting amazons for it.
These suckers can get 3 feet tall with proper lighting, ferts and
C02...they'd overcrowd a 10 gallon in minutes. Plus the leaves get so huge
that proper aquascaping is difficult for mingling other species in an
esthetic manner. I'd go with the java fern, and yes---anubias and crypts.

No
plant out-competes algae like stem plants. Especially ones like Dwarf
hygrophila (Hygrophila polysperma) or the red ludwigia (ludwigia

mulertii).
Water sprite is excellent as well.

www.picklyk.com/aquascape

om...

Old 23-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Dave Millman

Artur wrote:

I have a big Red Lotus that I want to move in another section of the
tank. (snip)

By the way, which plants would you also put in a 10 gallon tank?

Artur,

I have sold lotus plants when they got too big for my 72 gallon tank,
which is two feet deep. You may want to reconsider that plant. Leaves can
be 8 inches in diameter on two foot stalks.

Old 23-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Dan Drake

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 01:38:59 UTC, "Ðãve M. Picklyk"
wrote:

No
plant out-competes algae like stem plants. Especially ones like Dwarf
hygrophila (Hygrophila polysperma) or the red ludwigia (ludwigia mulertii).

What sort of lighting are we talking about here? When I remade my 55
recently with splendid substrate and water conditions and CO2 regulation
and 4 watts/gallon in the relevant part of the tank, I tried Ludwigia, and
it doesn't grow fast enough to be useful.

Come to think of it, though, this "red Ludwigia" is probably L repens. Is
L mulertii a lot better?

--

http://www.dandrake.com/

In the days after September 11, Yahoo searches for Nostradamus
outnumbered those for Osama bin Laden and Sex, combined.