Old 27-09-2003, 03:15 AM
ferlin husky

Default New planted tank advice

Hello! I just ordered my first plants. I bought a variety of crypts, dwarf
lily bulbs and some Brazilian microsword. My tank is 30 gal with 55w pc
lights and pressurized co2. I am replacing the current non-planted setup to
planted, replacing the substrate with 100% flourite this week. Does
flourite have enough nutrients right out of the bag to get these plants off
to a good start? Should I add anything to the gravel before planting? We
also keep bunnies and I have heard that some people have used their
droppings for fertilizer. Would adding some doodoos to the gravel be a good
or bad idea?

Thanks again for the great adivice!

Ferlin

Old 30-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Chris

I would say no on the bunny droppings. You can add flourish tabs to the
substrate, and/or liquid fertilizer, but others here could give better
suggestions. Be aware that even with a good rinse flourite will cloud your
water for a while. It took a full week for my water to completely clear,
but others say it only takes a few hours. Whatever the case, don't panic
if you get muddy water.

-Chris

Old 30-09-2003, 09:02 PM
RedForeman ©®

Whatever the case, don't panic
if you get muddy water.

That's funny... muddy water... just about what happens every time...

word to the wise, simple rinse and dump... anymore and you just create MORE
dust....

Old 30-09-2003, 10:30 PM
ferlin husky

Thanks guys! I rised the flourite through window screen and it worked
great. Less than 2 hours lafter adding to tank and the water was clear
again. It doesn't sound like it is imperative that I add fertizer to the
gravel before planting. I guess I will probably just plant them without it
and take it from there.

Thanks!

Ferlin

Old 30-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Dave Millman

ferlin husky wrote:

Hello! I just ordered my first plants. I bought a variety of crypts, dwarf
lily bulbs and some Brazilian microsword. My tank is 30 gal with 55w pc
lights and pressurized co2. I am replacing the current non-planted setup to
planted, replacing the substrate with 100% flourite this week. Does
flourite have enough nutrients right out of the bag to get these plants off
to a good start? Should I add anything to the gravel before planting? We
also keep bunnies and I have heard that some people have used their
droppings for fertilizer. Would adding some doodoos to the gravel be a good
or bad idea?

Definite no on the bunny doodoo.

Here's some advice on starting a planted tank:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/school.html