Old 30-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Fir Bolg

Default PH buffer query re plants

Are Ph buffers bad for natural plants? I used a buffer recently and I think
that my plants have become less robust.

Old 30-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Dave Millman

Fir Bolg wrote:

Are Ph buffers bad for natural plants? I used a buffer recently and I think
that my plants have become less robust.

Around here we discourage the use of anything to adjust pH except:

CO2: lowers pH
Baking soda (sodium carbonate): Raises KH, which raises pH
Lime (calcium carbonate): Same effect as Baking Soda, also raises GH

Old 01-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Fir Bolg

"Dave Millman" wrote in message
Fir Bolg wrote:

Are Ph buffers bad for natural plants? I used a buffer recently and I

think
that my plants have become less robust.

Around here we discourage the use of anything to adjust pH except:

CO2: lowers pH
Baking soda (sodium carbonate): Raises KH, which raises pH

In that case would you advise the use of a CO2 diffuser instead of a PH
buffer.? Could baking soda be used directly in the water without endangering
the water's balance?

Lime (calcium carbonate): Same effect as Baking Soda, also raises GH

Old 01-10-2003, 02:22 PM
RedForeman ©®

In that case would you advise the use of a CO2 diffuser instead of a PH
buffer.? Could baking soda be used directly in the water without

endangering
the water's balance?

I've used baking soda to raise the gH and pH when needed, but never added
more than 1 tablespoon.

Lime (calcium carbonate): Same effect as Baking Soda, also raises GH

I'm not sure... I would dare to say not to use it until you hear from some
of the more intelligent ppl here, not me... I'm not smaart... :-)

Old 02-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Jimmy

Hey Red,

Since you sound like you know TONS more than me. And you are so nice about
giving your advice, I'm hoping you will get this and reply. My PH is about
6.7 and I am sure I need to add lots of trace stuff to my water. I have a
40G L tank with 110w PC 9700 plant lights and DIY CO2 injection. How much
baking soda should I add? Do I put it straight into the tank water?

I remembered reading this thread after you answered my other post. Thank
you for your help. I owe you!

Old 03-10-2003, 02:42 PM
RedForeman ©®

I don't know much, except how to say the wrong things... anyhow, the only
reason I add BS is because my tap water is pretty low, usually around 6.4,
and after you add CO2, it'll drop into the 5s -6.0... so when I do a water
change, I usually do 10gs out of a 29g tank, then add the BS which does
raise the changed water to well over 7.4-7.8 but when added back to the
tank, only barely maintains a 6.6-7.0, and the pain to that is my water will
change with the season... right now it smells like clorox, BAD, so I've been
aging the water for a day or so... then the pH actually rises a bit to about
7.2-7.4

My 29g tank is USUALLY....

pH-6.4
gH-2d
kH-10d

I add PMDD, and inject CO2....

Old 07-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Dave Millman

"RedForeman ©®" wrote:

In that case would you advise the use of a CO2 diffuser instead of a PH
buffer.? Could baking soda be used directly in the water without

endangering
the water's balance?

I've used baking soda to raise the gH and pH when needed, but never added
more than 1 tablespoon.

Minor error he Baking soda has little effect on GH. It is Sodium Bicarbonate,
which is "pure" KH, which raises pH.

Lime (calcium carbonate): Same effect as Baking Soda, also raises GH

I'm not sure... I would dare to say not to use it until you hear from some
of the more intelligent ppl here, not me... I'm not smaart... :-)

More information: Calcium carbonate has been added to aquariums since there were
such things. It is the primary ingredient in seashells, aragonite gravel, and
many rocks. Lime, a powder, is the easy way to dissolve measured amounts in
water. Calcium carbonate raises both GH and KH.

Now back to reality. Jimmy, why do you feel you need to raise your KH? What is
your KH, and what is your pH before and after CO2 injection? What other
nutrients are you adding to your water? How much of your aquarium is planted,
and for how long? How are the plants (and the algae) growing?

In short, what are you trying to accomplish?