Old 01-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Ðãve M. Picklyk

Default Compact power flourescents? Too much light??

Thinking about setting up a 28 gal aquarium...I was going to get two double
strip All-glass light units totalling 80W (2.9wpg) and put Power-Glos in
them. I have come accross a 24" Compact Power Flourescent unit at Big Als
that has two 65 watt bulbs (130W = ~4.6wpg) 1 daylight and 1 actinic. It's
269.99 CAN compared to 125 CAN for the dual strips and Power Glos...is
4.6wpg too much light?? I generate about 30-35ppm of C02 and can fertilize 3
times with PPMD a week if necessary. What's your opinions?

Thanx!

--
Ðãve M. Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old 01-10-2003, 02:12 PM
RedForeman ©®

"Ðãve M. Picklyk" wrote in message
Thinking about setting up a 28 gal aquarium...I was going to get two

double
strip All-glass light units totalling 80W (2.9wpg) and put Power-Glos in
them. I have come accross a 24" Compact Power Flourescent unit at Big Als
that has two 65 watt bulbs (130W = ~4.6wpg) 1 daylight and 1 actinic. It's
269.99 CAN compared to 125 CAN for the dual strips and Power Glos...is
4.6wpg too much light?? I generate about 30-35ppm of C02 and can fertilize

3
times with PPMD a week if necessary. What's your opinions?
Thanx!
Ðãve M. Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

I think you'll be very busy pruning and selling us your clippings!!!! LOL...
but that could the be fun part, huh?

I'd tend to believe that staying at or near the 3.0WPG marks would allow you
SOME time to sleep, and it would save you some money.... Money that can be
put into a nice stock, or decoration.....

The only disadvantaget to the PCFs are the cost of replacing the bulbs...
that's my only gripe.. and the heat... ok, that's two gripes... they are
HOT!!!

Old 01-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Giancarlo Podio

It's a lot of work between fertilizing, large water changes and most
of all pruning the tank nearly every week. If you're up to the extra
work, 4.6wpg will sure keep you busy. Ahsupply.com would be my
preference, their price is right and you are not forced to buy actinic
tubes that need to be replaced. I'm very happy with their lights.
2.9wpg however is also a nice amount of light, along with CO2 there is
nothing you wouldn't be able to grow, more light would just mean
faster growth.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio

Old 01-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Ben

Ðãve M. Picklyk wrote:

Thinking about setting up a 28 gal aquarium...I was going to get two double
strip All-glass light units totalling 80W (2.9wpg) and put Power-Glos in
them. I have come accross a 24" Compact Power Flourescent unit at Big Als
that has two 65 watt bulbs (130W = ~4.6wpg) 1 daylight and 1 actinic. It's
269.99 CAN compared to 125 CAN for the dual strips and Power Glos...is
4.6wpg too much light?? I generate about 30-35ppm of C02 and can fertilize 3
times with PPMD a week if necessary. What's your opinions?

Hi Dave,

I've just recently started doing a planted tank. I have a couple of
plants and a little fertilizer (no CO2 as of yet) but I just purchased a
light. It's currently in transit from Calif. I'd suggest you take a
look at e-bay or aquabid for lights.

The light I purchased is a 48" (55wx4) Power Compact lighting. I payed
about $65 including shipping. The light comes with (2) 10000K & (2)
Actinic blue bulbs. I've checked and replacement bulbs aren't that
much, the 10000K bulbs are ~$10 each and the blues are ~$25.

Since I have a 55G, I only planed to run the white during the day and
the blues at night. (Maybe both for a while at noon, have to see what
kind of timer I can find).

In summary, look around. You can find great deals!

-Ben

Old 02-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Ben

bp100a wrote:
Where did you get the 4 x 55w light for that price?

/harry

E-bay Aquarium Lighting
http://listings.ebay.com/aw/plisting...x.html?from=R4

Specifically, I bought one of these
from this seller.

It's slated to be delivered on the 6th or 7th. I'll probably post what
I think of it in the day or so after I get it.

HTH,
Ben

Old 02-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Toni

"Ben" wrote in message

Specifically, I bought one of these

from this seller.

It's slated to be delivered on the 6th or 7th. I'll probably post what
I think of it in the day or so after I get it.

Does that unit have a fan?
It didn't mention one in the listing and those CF's heat up fairly quickly-
especially if you have occasion to run all four at the same time.
Will you be using it on legs?
I'd worry it would get hot enough to crack a glass cover without legs, and
if it's cheaply made I'd be afraid to use it *without* glass between it and
the water.

In any case- do please remember to report back on the quality. It's a great
deal if it is decent.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm

Old 08-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Ben

Toni wrote:

I got the light and as promised, I will talk about it.

Does that unit have a fan?

It does not. The underside didn't seem to get to hot over the 4 hours I
had it on last night. The top on the other hand, did get hot.

Will you be using it on legs?

So far, no, I will no be using it on legs. It fits nicely over my versa
sp glass top.

I'd worry it would get hot enough to crack a glass cover without legs, and
if it's cheaply made I'd be afraid to use it *without* glass between it and
the water.

I'm not planning to run both sets of lights unless I'm around so I can
monitor how hot it gets, etc. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks.

In any case- do please remember to report back on the quality. It's a great
deal if it is decent.

I did! Over all, I'm very happy. My tank looks so might brighter. I'm
a little surprised how blue the blue lights make it. (I don't know how
often I'll run them). I'd thought about running them over night but I
think it will keep the fish "awake".

-Ben

Old 08-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Toni

"Ben" wrote in message
I got the light and as promised, I will talk about it.

Thanks for the report!