GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Do I still need Flourish Excel If I use DIY CO2 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/44486-do-i-still-need-flourish-excel-if-i-use-diy-co2.html)

Jimmy 01-10-2003 06:02 PM

Do I still need Flourish Excel If I use DIY CO2

1. I just added DIY CO2 and wondered if I would bennifit by continued use
of Flourish Excel daily.

2. When will I notice the benifits of CO2?

3. Why would the new leaves on Anubia be pale green? ....All my cryps are
doing great thought.

4. What other chems do I need?

My tank is 6 weeks old. I have a 40 Gal L with an all glass PC light with
with (2) 55W bulbs. Flourite bottom, PH 6.8 Temp avg 82F. I use Flourish
Excell daily, Leaf Zone weekly.

Jim

Alex R 02-10-2003 05:25 AM

Do I still need Flourish Excel If I use DIY CO2

"Jimmy" wrote in message
. net...
1. I just added DIY CO2 and wondered if I would bennifit by continued use
of Flourish Excel daily.

Probably not. CO2 is the most preferred source of carbon for plants. You
should check your CO2 level by measuring the KH and the pH and make sure
it's in the 20-30 ppm range.

2. When will I notice the benifits of CO2?

You should see your plants pearl a lot more than without CO2. That should
probably start within a day or two.

3. Why would the new leaves on Anubia be pale green? ....All my cryps are
doing great thought.

4. What other chems do I need?

With CO2 injection, you would likely need to supply all three macronutrients
nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus by dosing KNO3, K2SO4 or KCl, and
KH2PO4, as well as a complete trace element mix. Check the archive or the
Krib for some sources of those chemicals. You would have to measure the NO3
and the PO4 in your tank before dosing them. Keep the nitrate at 5-10 ppm,
the phosphate at around 1.0 ppm. It's likely that your Anubia leaves are
pale because of a lack of one of these nutrients.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Dan Drake 02-10-2003 10:02 PM

Do I still need Flourish Excel If I use DIY CO2

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 03:15:07 UTC, "Alex R"
wrote:

With CO2 injection, you would likely need to supply all three macronutrients
nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus by dosing KNO3, K2SO4 or KCl, and
KH2PO4, as well as a complete trace element mix. Check the archive or the
Krib for some sources of those chemicals. You would have to measure the NO3
and the PO4 in your tank before dosing them. Keep the nitrate at 5-10 ppm,
the phosphate at around 1.0 ppm. It's likely that your Anubia leaves are
pale because of a lack of one of these nutrients.

But before doing anything about phosphate, check out the references from
the Krib to the Poor Man's Dosing Drops info.
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/
It may be more important to keep phosphate down than to supplement it.

--

http://www.dandrake.com/

In the days after September 11, Yahoo searches for Nostradamus
outnumbered those for Osama bin Laden and Sex, combined.

Dave Millman 03-10-2003 11:31 PM

Alex R wrote:

"Jimmy" wrote in message
2. When will I notice the benifits of CO2?

You should see your plants pearl a lot more than without CO2. That should
probably start within a day or two.

Pearling occurs when the concentration of oxygen approaches and exceeds
saturation in a tank. If there are lots of fish, or the water is relatively cold
(which holds more O2), this may never occur.

Bruce Geist 08-10-2003 02:02 AM

Do I still need Flourish Excel If I use DIY CO2

Dave,

Is CO2 content and O2 content of water independent? I have often wondered
if excessive CO2 actually decreases the maximum oxygen that can be dissolved
in water. (Granted that high CO2 means plants produce more oxygen, which
may have the practical affect of increasing oxygen. I am wondering though
if saturation level is a function of CO2 content..)

-Bruce Geist

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~brucegeist

Dunter Powries 08-10-2003 04:05 AM

Bruce Geist wrote in message
Dave,

Is CO2 content and O2 content of water independent? I have often wondered
if excessive CO2 actually decreases the maximum oxygen that can be

dissolved
in water. (Granted that high CO2 means plants produce more oxygen, which
may have the practical affect of increasing oxygen. I am wondering though
if saturation level is a function of CO2 content..)

CO2 levels do not affect O2 levels except in so far as H2O has a finite
capacity to hold dissolved gasses. Other factors will have an impact on O2
and/or CO2 levels, for example cooler water holds more dissolved gasses than
warmer water.