Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 PM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Default Filter recommendations for planted tank

Hello,

I've recently gotten into having live plants in my tank. I'm currently
running an AquaClear 500 on my 55 gal. I'm having to clean the filter out
often (to remove plant debris and not to clean the media) due to clogging.
Is there a filter out there that can handle plant debris without clogging so
easily?

Any thoughts/recommendations/opinions appreciated.

TIA

^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Old 13-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Alex R

"^*^ Vosklady ^*^" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

I've recently gotten into having live plants in my tank. I'm currently
running an AquaClear 500 on my 55 gal. I'm having to clean the filter out
often (to remove plant debris and not to clean the media) due to clogging.
Is there a filter out there that can handle plant debris without clogging

so
easily?

Any thoughts/recommendations/opinions appreciated.

Which part of the AquaClear filter is getting clogged? If you're using an
extended intake tube, and the place where it gets clogged is where the outer
tube meets the inner tube, then you can simply cut off the inner tube's mesh
and it won't clog there anymore. (I hope you understand which part I'm
talking about.) I used to have the same problem with my AC, but now the only
thing that clogs it is small snails.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 14-10-2003, 05:02 AM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

"Alex R" wrote in message
"^*^ Vosklady ^*^" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hi Alex . . . many thanks for the reply, it's appreciated.

I'm not currently using the extended intake tube setup, but the info you
gave is good to know for future reference . . . I'll have to keep that in
mind.

I was browsing around Petsolutions.com and came across a pre-filter that can
be used with power filters, canister filters or powerheads so I decided to
order one. If you are (or anyone else is) interested, you can find this
pre-filter at:

http://petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/cgii...019.700000&l=1

Many Thanks Again & Best Regards,

^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Old 14-10-2003, 06:22 AM

In article ,

I was browsing around Petsolutions.com

I'm trying to figure out how they ship... fish...
I just had quite a fiasco with a box of chocolates...
They arrived all melted into one big sloshed together vaiegated mess of chocolate
and icing and paper.

I shudder to think what these people would do to live tropical fish.

HOW do they manage this?

Old 14-10-2003, 09:22 AM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

wrote in message
newsELib.33410$La.1132@fed1read02...
In article ,

I was browsing around Petsolutions.com

I'm trying to figure out how they ship... fish...
I just had quite a fiasco with a box of chocolates...
They arrived all melted into one big sloshed together vaiegated mess of

chocolate
and icing and paper.

I shudder to think what these people would do to live tropical fish.

HOW do they manage this?

Not sure, I've never ordered fish from them or any online store before. This
isn't the only site to ship fish . . . I'm aware of around four or so sites
that do this and I'm sure there are more. Based on what I've read from these
various online stores, shipping is an involved process and they usually ship
overnight for next day delivery. Like I said, I've never ordered fish
offline, perhaps someone else has and can give a better idea on this.

I do know that live plants are shocked by being shipped long distances,
sometimes so much so that they never recover. Then again, I'm sure fish
aren't being packed in wet newspaper . . .

^*^ Vosklady ^*^