Old 13-10-2003, 10:22 PM
E.Otter

Default experience with compact flash lighting

I'm thinking of using a 55watt 21" long compact fluorescent light over my
29g (30L x 12wide x 18high ) tank.

The distance between the bottom of the light and the hood would be about 1
inche. The distance between the light and the water line would be 3 inches.
I would like to plant Java ferns, Java moss, Anubias barteri, and crinium
thianum... maybe 10 - 12 plants initially.

A couple questions.
Would 10-12 plants be considered a lot of plants for this size tank?

Would the amount of heat produced by the compact fluorescent light require
changing from a plastic tank cover to a glass tank cover?

Would this be too little, too much, or just enough light? I would like to
maintain an 11-12 hour light cycle.

Old 14-10-2003, 04:04 PM
RedForeman ©®

you are describing basically what I have, except I inject CO2 for the
plants.... other than that, you're almost spot on....

I think the heat will be a factor, but if your light strip has a fan, it
won't be an issue...

I have been growing Java Ferns, Sunset Hygro, Anubias-nana and barteri, Java
Moss, Amazon Swords and Rotala Indica, but am ready for a new bulb....My PCF
is around 16months old and I've noticed lately that BBA(black brush algae)
has bloomed on the filter intake tube, right under the light, so it's time
for a new bulb....

10-12 plants would be considered light planting in my opinion... and since
you did not mention CO2 production, I'd say you are ok with only 10-12
plants.... Any more or any less and you MAY develop some algae, and that
will possibly depend on your fish load... More fish, more food for algae...
but if you have plants, they will soak that up before the algae takes off...
So it does sound like your plan will be ok...

Are you planning on fertilizing?
Injecting CO2?

I've always run about 12 hrs daylight on my tanks.... occasionally I add a
couple hours here and there for our own benefit...

.net...

Old 14-10-2003, 09:32 PM
Giancarlo Podio

Just make sure you have plenty of crinium thianum or other fast
growing plants during intial startup. All the other plants you have
mentioned are slow growing and may take a little while to start
consuming nutrients. You can also throw some hornwart in there until
everything is rooted in and settled. I find this usually helps when
starting up a planted tank.

Good luck
Giancarlo Podio

Old 14-10-2003, 10:02 PM

10-12 nplants is not alot @ all all of the plants you have chosen are
slow growers.

Yes you will probably need a glass cover
I say start with 10 hours since these are slow growers

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Power compact bulbs and MH the lowest on the net
Eheim PRO II 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75
FORUM

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php