Old 14-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Carl Collins

Default Guppies

I haven't kept fish for about 4-5 months now and fancy getting back in to
the hobby.
I have a 4.5ft x 2.5ft Tank but only want to start back into the hobby with
Guppies.. I want females and males so obviously there will be fry but can
anyone tell me what kind of bad things I should look out for?

Thanks very much ;-)

Just because I don't go to bed with ugly girls on a Friday night doesn't
necessarily mean that I don't wake up with some!!

Old 14-10-2003, 04:22 PM
RedForeman ©®

Strong filters will suck up the fry and predators could take care of your
fry, but if you want fry, you won't want any predators... My clown loaches
loved my guppy fry.. I'm only guessing there, because they were the only
fish in the tank besides momma, and I'm sure she had her some too....

If you want to keep them, maybe setting up a smaller tank, with a sponge
filter, and they'll be great....

Old 14-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Surgicalrn

Don't know what kind of "bad things" you mean... if you're gonna do fry in a
tank that large get sponge filters or some other type of low power filter. I
guess theorhetically you could do some sort of cannister type as long as the
intake was buried inside some sponge or something to reduce the force of the
water flowing into it so it wouldn't catch fry. Plenty of floating plants
and plants in general for hiding will increase your fry yield and would not
require you to move the adults out when young are present. I have a mass of
hornwort in my 10 gal. guppy tank and have lost very few fry to predation
from the 7 adult guppies or the ghost shrimp that I use as a tank maid.
Feeding them well at the time fry start appearing will also decrease
cannibalism in the adults. If I were you... I'd get about 9-10 adults to
start with that are really spectacular and let the breeding begin from
there. It won't take them quite a year and you will have so many guppies,
you'll be begging people to come and take them off your hands!