Old 17-10-2003, 03:03 AM
Cichlidiot

Default Hitchhikers with aponogeton bulbs

I got a pack of 8 dried aponogeton bulbs from the pet store for my new
tank (I love the look of aponogeton, heh). Some oddities about this batch
of dried bulbs however. One bulb never sunk and was surrounded by fungus,
so it and the other floating one were removed. 4 of the remaining
sprouted, but of the last 2 there appears to be some sort of worm inside
the bulbs that I assume survived the dry spell as eggs. The bulbs also
carried cyclops eggs as I now have cyclops zooming around the holding tank
these all are in. My question though is about the worm. None have fully
emerged from the bulbs, only sending out one end seeking for something
(food or new home I suppose) across the bare bottom of the holding tank
then retreating back into the bulbs. Of what I have seen, they are over
half an inch long, translucent at the seeking end, dark colored in the
middle and about as thick as a small hair-like root. They could be
mistaken for such roots if they weren't moving.

Any idea what these worms are or know of good websites to try a visual ID?
Somewhat reminds me of tubifex, but not positive. I'm assuming the
affected bulbs are a loss, but I would like to ID what these are in case
more eggs are present that haven't hatched yet.