GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Caridina Japonica shrimp (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/46287-caridina-japonica-shrimp.html)

gizmo 28-10-2003 05:22 PM

Caridina Japonica shrimp

I've introduced today 10 little guys to my 100gallon planted tank.
I really don't have a big algae problem but I don't mind having them eating
it....
I read in some places they prefer soft water and might eat java moss and
some riccia plants.
Does anyone has good/bad experience with them ?
10x

gizmo

Dave Millman 28-10-2003 10:02 PM

Caridina Japonica shrimp

gizmo wrote:

I've introduced today 10 little guys to my 100gallon planted tank.
I really don't have a big algae problem but I don't mind having them eating
it....

Good thing you don't, because 10 will hardly make a dent in a 100 gallon tank!
You will enjoy them, though. Much different behavior than fish. Fun to watch
them drag food to a hide out.

I read in some places they prefer soft water and might eat java moss and
some riccia plants.

Never saw them eat either one, though I had both. Never have had a bad
experience with them, except when they get hunted down and eaten by packs of
Angels. Only problems I've heard of is poisoning by copper compounds in
medications.

Boris 29-10-2003 02:02 AM

Caridina Japonica shrimp

I've had some for several months - they are quite interesting when you can
see them. I sometimes don't see them for weeks. Never had any bad
experiences eating any plants.

Mark Snyder 29-10-2003 04:43 PM

Caridina Japonica shrimp

I have a dozen in a 75 gallon tank. Have had them for years, so they must be
pretty hardy. I am convinced the eat my Vallisneria because I am always
finding floating leaves on the surface. The plant is a weed in my tank, so I
really don't mind. I love watching those guys!

Snark