Old 31-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Surgicalrn

Default thread algae???

I have this curly greyish green stuff growing at the tops of my anacharis
jungle in the back of my tank. I'm assuming it's thread algae because it
does kinda look like thread. My ottos, platys, mollies and pleco aren't
touching it. What kind of fish will eat this stuff or what can I do to get
rid of it or at least keep it from spreading?

Old 31-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Dick

Assuming I had what you have, and assuming the actions I took were the
cause of my no longer having "Black Hair Algae," and assuming we are
both talking fresh water tanks, here are some steps I have taken.

I have six in a 75 gallon tank. At most the tank has 120 watts of
light, however the 2 flourescents have been in the tank almost a year.
I don't like the tank to be real bright. The Ph runs about 7.5. No
CO2 or other additives. Tank temperature 78. The tank has about 60
fish ranging from 4 inch Blue Gouramis to one inch White Clouds. I
feed only Tetra flake food twice a day. I change water once a week,
about 20 percent.

I added Siamese Algae Eaters and Black Mollies to the existing Plecos
and Clown Loaches.

I removed almost all the plants with the algae and most of the sand
that showed algae growing. I ordered "low light" plants from a New
England supplier and stuffed the bottom of the tank full of plants.

On a hunch there is a difference between 120 watts for 10 hours and
120 watts for 16 hours, I leave my lights on for fewer hours. Someone
in this group suggested too many hours could be bad for plants and
fish.

The plants that have survived, most that I ordered, are doing well, my
fish are doing well and the Black Hair Algae is gone.

Ignorance is bliss.

Old 11-11-2003, 12:32 AM
redled

Surgicalrn wrote in
:

I have this curly greyish green stuff growing at the tops of my
anacharis jungle in the back of my tank. I'm assuming it's thread
algae because it does kinda look like thread. My ottos, platys,
mollies and pleco aren't touching it. What kind of fish will eat this
stuff or what can I do to get rid of it or at least keep it from
spreading?

This is a late reply, but American Flag fish will happily eat hair algae.
They are also a very nice looking fish. If you can find them in your area,
you might want to check them out. It is pretty interesting to watch a pair
of them, too.