Old 06-11-2003, 03:32 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Glass Top Covers

I never knew what I was missing.... until now...

I was one of those who never spent the $17 on a glass cover for my planted
tanks.... never needed them.... My SO talked me into getting one, and
WOW.... not only did I get a glass canopy, I got a new pcf bulb, from a 55w
to a 65w.... now the whole bedroom is lit up.... within minutes some sunset
hygro changed from pink to RED!!! besides it being a weed, it's already made
changes because of more light coming thru, the old shroud was so restricting
with the light...

I'm planning on putting a shelf above the tank, very sturdy one too, and put
some plants, books, supplies on it.... the glass allows alot of light thru
the top and a hanging or spider plant would love the CO2 coming out of the
tank.... the humidity.... the LIGHT!!!!

If you don't have one, you've GOTTA get one... you'll NOT be sorry....

---

RedForeman ©®

Old 07-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

What were you using before the glass cover? Nothing? Or one of
those plastic canopies with the tiny glass/plastic window?

Old 07-11-2003, 04:13 PM
RedForeman ©®

the sad plastic things that all tanks come with.... pretty sad huh???

This is the best thing since sliced bread.... WOW!!!

t...

Old 07-11-2003, 07:03 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

You have seen the light! The next step (which I plan to take soon)
is to get rid of the top totally.

Old 07-11-2003, 07:13 PM
RedForeman ©®

yep, have already talked to a buddy about MH pendants to hang from a shelf
that is being installed, well... tomorrow actually...

The only 'real' issue, how many watts??? over a 29g, I'm guessing 2 75w
pendants.... sound good?? oh yeah, then a 10lb Co2 bottle, then a... better
stop now....

Old 10-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Blarneytoad

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:10:36 -0500, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

yep, have already talked to a buddy about MH pendants to hang from a shelf
that is being installed, well... tomorrow actually...

The only 'real' issue, how many watts??? over a 29g, I'm guessing 2 75w
pendants.... sound good?? oh yeah, then a 10lb Co2 bottle, then a... better
stop now....

Can you get 75 watt pendants? You might want to consider a single
175watt pendant. What's the depth of the tank?

et...

Old 10-11-2003, 03:23 PM
RedForeman ©®

"Blarneytoad" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:10:36 -0500, "RedForeman ©®"
yep, have already talked to a buddy about MH pendants to hang from a

shelf
that is being installed, well... tomorrow actually...

The only 'real' issue, how many watts??? over a 29g, I'm guessing 2 75w
pendants.... sound good?? oh yeah, then a 10lb Co2 bottle, then a...

better
stop now....

Can you get 75 watt pendants? You might want to consider a single
175watt pendant. What's the depth of the tank?

Yeah a buddy of mine is a contractor, has the 75MH bulbs, set of ballasts
that were hugely expensive, and we're scrounging for the pendants... they
are harder to find than the bulbs and ballasts.... a single 175MH over a
29g, would be an algae farm.... and too much light for a bedroom.... 75 over
a 29g gives 2.58WPG and a 175 over a 29 would give 6.03WPG, unless you hung
it from the ceiling, then maybe... not really..

Old 10-11-2003, 09:04 PM
~Vicki ~

You know it is pretty funny how I will spend over $60 for a single fish
but will not spend the money for the glass top. My favorite LFS has
second hand glass tops for $5 and I just can't find it in my heart to
get one. It probably is that I am a pack rat and the old plastic would
join all the rest of the junk in the spare bedroom (the room is supposed
to be for guests but with all the junk can't fit a bed in there now) and
I just can't seem to be able to part with anything.

Vicki

Visit me on line at http://shamrock4u.250free.com

Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Blarneytoad

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:49:50 -0500, "RedForeman ©®"
wrote:

[...]

I'm just thinking if it's a tall tank the 175 will give you better
light penetration. I guess it all depends on what kind of setup
you have eg. CO2 ect but I have 2 175 watt MH's over my
55 gallon and no serious algae problems over the years to
speak of. I've posted some pics of it in alt.binaries.aquaria
if you want to take a look. But yeh,if you can get 75watt
pendants they would be great for that set up.Goodluck in
your search and let us know if you find a good source for the
fixture.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:43 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 18:58:54 GMT, "Ghazanfar Ghori"
wrote:

You have seen the light! The next step (which I plan to take soon)
is to get rid of the top totally.

And on that note:

Last night, my wife called me downstairs, said she thought we had a
mouse in the basement! She saw something run behind the tank, and the
cat and dog were both looking around for the visitor.

Turns out it was one of my very large SAEs. I've got no glass or
plastic top on the tank, but there is a wooden canopy/hood. There are
small holes in the back of the hood for the water return, and for the
overflow box. Apparently he took a flying jump over the overflow and
out of the tank/canopy!

I'm guessing I got to him after just a few minutes. I put him into
the quarentine tank. He looked like he wasn't going to make it. This
morning I checked on him, and he was still alive, but not looking good
(hanging in the water, nose up, kinda tilted to the side. This
evening, after work, I checked and he looks much better. I'm hopeful
he might pull thru.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Old 11-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Dave Engle

"Chuck Gadd" wrote in message
I'm guessing I got to him after just a few minutes. I put him into
the quarentine tank. He looked like he wasn't going to make it.

It's amazing how long some fish can live after being out of water...
I had a betta splendens (luckily well equipped for this sort of
thing) that flopped around out of his 2 gallon bowl for a whole
weekend! I don't know if he jumped, or if one of my cats finally
decided to see what he could get away with, but the fish lived for
another two years until he went back to my LFS' display tank when I
moved out of town...

On a side note, I don't know what exactly makes it work so good, but
I've found that MelaFix has worked incredibly as a general tonic for
ailing fish...
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dave Engle

DFW, TX USA
Independent Associate
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/dengle

Old 12-11-2003, 02:03 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:19:14 +0200, "Happy'Cam'per" wrote:

Betcha the little sucker makes it

G'Luck Chuck

thanks. yes, it looks like he's going to make it. He's swimming
around the 10g, looking perfectly normal (athought a little cramped!)
I'll give him another day or so in quanrentine, and he'll be back into
the big tank.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

OT; glass top tables shattering terryc Australia 17 29-01-2010 03:10 AM
help with new glass top and light Zach Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Lighting and glass covers question Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
fountain covers Niall United Kingdom 4 14-03-2003 04:44 PM
help with new glass top and light Zach Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 08-02-2003 10:02 PM