GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Protein Skimming and algea (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/46899-protein-skimming-algea.html)

spun 12 09-11-2003 12:03 AM

Protein Skimming and algea

I been in the hobby for about a year and started off with the hight
tech approach to a planted aquarium. I have 4 wpg of light and
compessed Co2 on a 75g tank.(48Lx24Wx18H) I add ferts on a regular
basis along with water changes every 1-2 weeks. I still have algea
that is on leaves and glass. Some is more brown and some is green. I
just purchased a protein skimmer for next to nothing. I figured I'd
give it a try or a week or two. Has anyone ever used one on a planted
tank? I know that it will take some nutrients away but Ive been having
trouble with nitrate so really I hope to remove that. Any info or
thoughts would be great!

MB in IL

Blarneytoad 09-11-2003 06:13 PM

Protein Skimming and algea

On 8 Nov 2003 15:56:51 -0800, (spun 12) wrote:

I been in the hobby for about a year and started off with the hight
tech approach to a planted aquarium. I have 4 wpg of light and
compessed Co2 on a 75g tank.(48Lx24Wx18H) I add ferts on a regular
basis along with water changes every 1-2 weeks. I still have algea
that is on leaves and glass. Some is more brown and some is green. I
just purchased a protein skimmer for next to nothing. I figured I'd
give it a try or a week or two. Has anyone ever used one on a planted
tank? I know that it will take some nutrients away but Ive been having
trouble with nitrate so really I hope to remove that. Any info or
thoughts would be great!

MB in IL

Skimmers don't work well in fresh water. It will also remove CO2 which
is something you don't want. One the upside for a fish only tank it
will remove the film of scum that sometimes collects on the surface of
the water. Fast growing plants will remove the excess nitrate if
that's what you want to accomplish.

RedForeman ©® 10-11-2003 03:23 PM

Protein Skimming and algea

Skimmers wont' do much, I'll take that off your hands if you want, hee
hee???

Be better off to get a Penguin 330 biowheel, nice filter, it'll do
everything... except remove nitrates.. and if you have a planted tank, you
don't want to remove nitrAtes... do you?

I have to add nitrAtes to get plants to grow, and you're wanting to take
them out?

om...