Old 10-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Bruce

Default What does a phosphate remover actually do?

I have a 20 gallon tank with 55w of CF light that's been running for at
least two years. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the phosphates in the
water down. It was coming from my tap water, which was two high to read
with the test kit that I had at the time (it was at least twice as blue as
the highest amount on the test kit, 3 or 5 ppm.IIRC.)

Anyway, I finally got tired of all the algae, and put in some Hagen Phos-X.
The algae cleared up almost immediately, and has stayed away for two months.
I took the Phos-X out, and am going to wait and see what happens.

Now my question: Does the Phos-X remove the phosphates by absorbing it or
by combining it with something else? I guess what I also really want to
know is that if it is combining it with something else, do I have to worry
about that compound breaking down and releasing the phosphates again?

Thanks,
Bruce.

Old 10-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Andrew Roberts

Bruce wrote:

Now my question: Does the Phos-X remove the phosphates by absorbing it or
by combining it with something else? I guess what I also really want to
know is that if it is combining it with something else, do I have to worry
about that compound breaking down and releasing the phosphates again?

The process is aDsorption. There are chemical binding sites in the
media that attract and grab the phosphate. The media might be able to
release the phosphate again, given the correct conditions. I'm not
familiar with the specific product you used, but I would follow the
replacement and/or recharge instructions carefully.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Roberts, Richmond Hill Ontario
royalwulff(at)sympatico(dot)ca

Old 12-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Bruce

"Andrew Roberts" wrote in message
.. .
Bruce wrote:

Now my question: Does the Phos-X remove the phosphates by absorbing it

or
by combining it with something else? I guess what I also really want to
know is that if it is combining it with something else, do I have to

worry
about that compound breaking down and releasing the phosphates again?

The process is aDsorption. There are chemical binding sites in the
media that attract and grab the phosphate. The media might be able to
release the phosphate again, given the correct conditions. I'm not
familiar with the specific product you used, but I would follow the
replacement and/or recharge instructions carefully.

OK -- Thanks Andrew.

I think that answers my question. I was worried that whatever compound the
Phos-X was forming was actually floating around in my water, and not bound
to the media.

Bruce.

Green Light Stump Remover Watercress Freshwater Aquaria Plants 30 15-03-2005 08:48 PM
Cans of "stump remover" Winter Lawns 3 24-11-2004 02:53 PM
Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover? Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 09-01-2004 01:49 AM
Does this plant actually exist?! Kumar Sivasubramanian Plant Science 2 22-04-2003 06:44 AM
Spetracide Stump Remover-- pure K2NO3? BruceKGeist Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:10 AM