Old 11-11-2003, 08:02 AM
Rodney

Default plants + goldfish

any suggestions on live plants that goldfish won't eat? i had some
different variety of plants in the tank before and had mixed results with
the plants. i had to re-start my tank, so it's bare now.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Geezer From The Freezer

Rodney wrote:

any suggestions on live plants that goldfish won't eat? i had some
different variety of plants in the tank before and had mixed results with
the plants. i had to re-start my tank, so it's bare now.

yes, they're called trees - just kidding of course
my goldfish destroy everything that I put in, sooner or later.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:22 AM
Mel

I've found Java fern to be the most goldfish proof.

y.com...

Old 11-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Jan Sacharuk

In article m, Rodney wrote:
any suggestions on live plants that goldfish won't eat? i had some
different variety of plants in the tank before and had mixed results with
the plants. i had to re-start my tank, so it's bare now.

My fish don't really like the hornwort that I put in, and I put in a
leafy plant that I can't remember the name of that they don't really
care for either. They nibble at both, but the hornwort grows so fast
it would take an army of goldfish to keep it down.

JS

--
========================= ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity
Old 12-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Dennis Fox

Rodney wrote:
any suggestions on live plants that goldfish won't eat? i had some
different variety of plants in the tank before and had mixed results with
the plants. i had to re-start my tank, so it's bare now.

I have an Amazon Sword my goldfish does not touch. I also have the
roots only of a philodendron hanging into the tank. Have seen GF "seem"
to nibble at the roots, but never noticed that the roots get any shorter
or fewer.

-Dennis

Old 12-11-2003, 04:12 AM
LoaderLady

I had a Wisteria (maybe spelled wrong). It looks kindof like a big, bushy
carrot top. The fish nibbled a bit when I first put it in, and then ignored
it. The snails, on the other hand, liked to chew the stems in half so I
finally gave up and took it out. I think it would have been fine if not for
the snails. I want to get some for my next tank and Not add the snails to
it!

Tammy

y.com...

Old 12-11-2003, 06:04 AM
Mike Edwardes

"Rodney" wrote in message gy.com...
any suggestions on live plants that goldfish won't eat? i had some
different variety of plants in the tank before and had mixed results with
the plants. i had to re-start my tank, so it's bare now.

Goldgish with plants possible? yes, see:
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/plant/lotech.html

Mike.
--
Mike Edwardes Tropicals
http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net
Old 12-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Mick Manford

I like to combine goldfish-proof plants with edible decoys.

Java fern and anubias are both attractive and bullet-proof. The added
benefit is they can be grown on rocks or wood, so not only can you
shift things around wihtout disturbing root systems - you can remove
them entirely when cleaning the aquarium. Makes life a good deal
easier all round. They also don't need a lot of light.

Then I would add some hornwort and elodea (or whatever its new name
is) Should your fish feel the need for a salad they will go for these.
Both plants usually grow back and if they don't, well they are pretty
cheap to replace.

I find this technique pretty successful at protecting the "main event"
plants. I also think its nice for the fish to have something to nibble
on. Plant material is not going to lead to lover-feeding water quality
problems as its mostly roughage.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:32 PM
Jan Sacharuk

In article , Mick Manford wrote:
I like to combine goldfish-proof plants with edible decoys.

snip
Then I would add some hornwort and elodea (or whatever its new name
is) Should your fish feel the need for a salad they will go for these.
Both plants usually grow back and if they don't, well they are pretty
cheap to replace.

We tried that as well. In theory, the hornwort was the main event, and
the hygrophila was the decoy. In reality, both my commons and my
veiltails didn't care about the plants at all. Now I'm finding my
commons are nibbling at the hornwort, like we had planned, but they're
not really slowing its growth any.

For now, I think the fish are just happy to have plants to play in,
even if they aren't chewing them up.

JS

--
========================= ========================
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity
Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code header to see my Geek Code
The theory of virtual particles agrees with observations to nine
decimal places. (Angels, in contrast, normally have no discernable
effect on either atoms or plates.) - Lawrence Krauss, Physicist
Old 16-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Peter Gennaro

I have a large goldfish in a planted tank. He completely ignores Amazon
swords, ludwigia, red reinecki, chain sword. The only thing he really went
after was Hornwort. I don't believe he was actually eating the Hornwort. I
think he just enjoyed tearing it apart.

Interesting thing I noticed, and maybe all goldfish are like this I don't
know, But when he was younger he strictly ate flakes from the surface. Now
that he's big he has turned to bottom feeding. Also he is more aggressive by
nature now that he's big.

y.com...

Old 16-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Peter Gennaro

Java fern is not interesting to the goldfish as far as eating, but if food
lands in the fern and gets lodged the fish will rip the fern to shreds just
to get at the food.

"Mel" wrote in message

I've found Java fern to be the most goldfish proof.

y.com...

Old 19-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Tony

Rodney,

I have had plants with goldfish for years. I don't have a good list
of plants that you should use or should not. Overall I agree with
what people have listed here. I have posted an answer to that
question about 8 months ago.

I do have some general comments that have helped me. I've found that
my goldfish (comets) like certain parts of the tank. If you want to
put a plant there, you better make sure they can't rip it out. I've
put plants that they don't even eat, but if they want to hang out
there, they will remove it. If the tank is over crowded to begin
with, they may try and remove all or most of your plants. I don't
mind spending a few bucks (under $10) for a plant to see how they like
it and if it grows in my tank. If they start to tear it appart I will
move it into another tank.

You mention that your tank is bare. Be sure to get a lot of plants
before you add them to your tank. If you add just one plant the fish
will may attack it even if they don't like to eat it. You have to
overwhelm them. This way they will only go after some of them. It
will give the rest of them a good chance to get growing and well
rooted. I have found that getting plants at some of the big chain
stores is NOT a good idea. The plants there aren't as healthy as they
could be. You also do not get a lot of plant for the money. I have
two good local stores that I tend to use, but I've heard some people
like some of the online stores. I haven't used them.

You will also have to monitor you water more closely, at least until
you get the kind of plant growth that you want. Learn about the
nutrients that the plants need, how to keep things balanced, and
control your algae growth. Seach the treads here or search online.
There is a lot of good info about what you'll need.

Old 20-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Geezer From The Freezer

In addition to Tony's email - when buying plants - check the roots.
Sometimes the plants have none, and won't live long!