Old 13-11-2003, 04:32 AM
JHudson

Default Planting density & driftwood, lighting (Newbie)

Hi
Just a couple newbie questrions. Setting up my first planted tank, will be
a low-light tank and low maintainance. Will be planting Java Fern,
hopefully more than one variety just depends what my LFS can bring in,
Anubias barteri var. nana, and Crypt walkeri or wendtii and maybe Java Moss.
I was thinking 6 Java fern, 4 Anubias, 1 or 2 Crypt and 1 or 2 Java Moss.
Is this a good density for a 33 gallon(36"lx12"w) tank or should I put
more/less in? Are these plants a good choice or should I see if I can find
something else?
Also I would like to put the Java fern/moss on driftwood, but I'm having
trouble finding aquarium friendly real driftwood that I like, would the
resin driftwood work or is there a reason you would use the real stuff?
And finally, is there a website or someone who could explain the difference
in bulbs/lighting numbers in laymans terms. (I'm just wondering about normal
fluorescent bulbs). I was looking at big al's online and there is a lot to
pick from and I have no idea what the difference is between a lot of these
bulbs.
Thanks for the help
--
JHudson
Sure. Fine. Whatever. -Syzygy

Old 16-11-2003, 01:23 PM
RedForeman ©®

all depend on the size of the individual plant...

I have what you mention in ten gallon, and that's a dense planting...

What you mention is a great assortment, and just remember to NOT get a
common pl*costamus, because they grow to be WAY too big, and will uproot
your plants...

get a dwarf pl*co instead....

You can use any kind of actual driftwood, bogwood, or anything store bought.
Clean it, soak it, boil it, and then put it in a bucket for 24-48hrs and
test the water to see what differences it will make... Then when you're
done there, you can bake it, and put it in the tank after its cooled off...

For the lights, I'll let some of the gurus answer that one... I'm just a
newbie...

Old 16-11-2003, 01:26 PM
Dave M. Picklyk

"JHudson" wrote in message

And finally, is there a website or someone who could explain the

difference
in bulbs/lighting numbers in laymans terms. (I'm just wondering about

normal
fluorescent bulbs). I was looking at big al's online and there is a lot

pick from and I have no idea what the difference is between a lot of these
bulbs.

If you're planning a low maintenance and low light solution then a basic
full-spectrum bulb is all that's needed. So forget all the expensive
PowerGlo or LifeGlo bulbs and go to your local hardware store and pickup a
sunlight bulb for a few bucks

Anything else will just lead to algae problems.

Dave M. Picklyk

www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old 19-11-2003, 03:12 PM
RedForeman ©®

My 10g, has the standard light strip that came with the hood, nothing
special, although I'm building a DIY hood for a 2 strip setup, giving 3 WPG,
which may be too much... can you say DIY CO2??? In my 10, there are 2
different crypts, red and green, lots of java fern, some sunset hygro that I
have to thin every other day, and even green tiger lotus, that nobody said
would live, but it is.... not sure how... I've put a piece of driftwood in
there, but it's so grown up, you can't see it anymore, and I hardly ever get
to see fish, because it's so grown over.... there are some pics over in the
binaries group... In this tank, I wanted to go with Blue Rams, but they
passed on due to bad acclimation from long transport... so I ended up using
Onyx sand, not sugar crystal sized, but smaller than gravel....

My 29g has 65W of 6500k PCF lights, running only 10hrs a day to control some
hair algae that formed when old lights went south.... supplemented with
CO2...In this tank, I consider it my favorite tank, but it's got Flourite in
it, and it's great....

Good luck, I was rambling, and will help, just had too much caffeeeene
today!!!!

"JHudson" wrote in message
Hi
Thanks for the response. Generally the plants the LFS brings in isn't

that
big. I was thinking of adding a few more Java Fern, but as this is my

first
attempt at a planted tank, maybe I'll leave it at those numbers. How much
lighting does your 10gallon have? I think mine will be around
1.5watts/gallon,(need to get the new light strip yet), which from what I
have read is very low light.
I would love to do my 20 gallon as well, but I'll have to wait until my
crayfish passes on, that creature wrecks plastic plants and unearths them.
That would be a nightmare in a planted tank I'm sure!
What tests do you recommend for a planted tank or even just a plain fish
tank? I haven't tested since I first started the tanks. There are lots

pick from and I don't know if they are worth the money.
The driftwood right now would have to store bought as everything is under
snow, but to find something I like.... I did see one that I liked, but it
was fake.
Now to decide if I want laterite or flourite...

Old 20-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Happy'Cam'per

My 10g, has the standard light strip that came with the hood, nothing
special, although I'm building a DIY hood for a 2 strip setup, giving 3

WPG,
which may be too much...

Hey Red

I too have a small ten gallon with 3Wpg, and in my most humble opinion I
think that you need more light! I had 2 compact flourescents over the tank
for 3 months, plants were doing okayish but the additional light, co2 and
nutrients did the tank good. I am well on my way to being "satisfied" with
the results so far. YMMV!
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 21-11-2003, 10:12 AM
JHudson

Hi
Thanks for the response. Generally the plants the LFS brings in isn't that
big. I was thinking of adding a few more Java Fern, but as this is my first
attempt at a planted tank, maybe I'll leave it at those numbers. How much
lighting does your 10gallon have? I think mine will be around
1.5watts/gallon,(need to get the new light strip yet), which from what I
have read is very low light.
I would love to do my 20 gallon as well, but I'll have to wait until my
crayfish passes on, that creature wrecks plastic plants and unearths them.
That would be a nightmare in a planted tank I'm sure!
What tests do you recommend for a planted tank or even just a plain fish
tank? I haven't tested since I first started the tanks. There are lots to