Old 16-11-2003, 01:27 PM
coigula

Default Long thread like algae appearance.

Hi

I have the growth of a long filimentous type green algae that grows in
threads in the top half of the aquarium. I have little or no other types
of algae clearly visible.

I run 2 54w full spectrum daylights over a std 55 gallon for 8-10hrs per
day by a timer. Is the source of this algae too much light? I can
easily raise the height of the suspended light or shorten the duration.
Otherwise plant growth is excellent. I run 80ppm as caco3 alkalinity at
set ph controller to 6.9pH.

I use 5 ml Tropica master grow weekly as well.

Drew

Old 16-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Dinky

"coigula" wrote in message
Hi

I have the growth of a long filimentous type green algae that grows in
threads in the top half of the aquarium. I have little or no other types
of algae clearly visible.

I run 2 54w full spectrum daylights over a std 55 gallon for 8-10hrs per
day by a timer. Is the source of this algae too much light? I can
easily raise the height of the suspended light or shorten the duration.
Otherwise plant growth is excellent. I run 80ppm as caco3 alkalinity at
set ph controller to 6.9pH.

I use 5 ml Tropica master grow weekly as well.

Drew

http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html#thread

Does Tropica contain iron? The addition of an appropriate algae eater would
make the problem go away. At least it's an algae that's easy to remove.

Old 16-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Dick

I added more plants to absorb more of the nutrients. That is in
addition to adding fish and snails that like algae and reducing the
number of hours my lights are on. I think of algae as part of the
food chain, so I increased the competition and reduced the nutrients.
Don't forget to clean the stuff. The longer threads are not
attractive to algae eaters. They seem to like the "young stuff."

Old 17-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Sounds like an Iron OD. When you say you add 5ml a week do you do this in
one go or a little every day? Maybe adding a touch daily or every second day
might solve your problem. As another poster said it would be a good idea to
add some plants, maybe floaters as they absorb the most nutrients quickly.

HTH
Regards
Cam

Old 18-11-2003, 01:12 AM
coigula

Not really a severe problem. but a concern.

I assumed it was either too much light or too much iron.

I have plenty of laterite. It may be from water changes as well.

I use 5ml weekly of Tropica. I can add some to the daily dose from the
liquidoser.

Drew

Old 19-11-2003, 04:22 AM

coigula wrote in message ...
Hi

I have the growth of a long filimentous type green algae that grows in
threads in the top half of the aquarium. I have little or no other types
of algae clearly visible.

Likely Rhizoclonium.

I run 2 54w full spectrum daylights over a std 55 gallon for 8-10hrs per
day by a timer. Is the source of this algae too much light?

No.

I can
easily raise the height of the suspended light or shorten the duration.
Otherwise plant growth is excellent. I run 80ppm as caco3 alkalinity at
set ph controller to 6.9pH.

Umm that's not enough CO2.
Try lowering the pH to 6.6 with CO2 gas only for this alkalinity.

I use 5 ml Tropica master grow weekly as well.

Try 10-15mls 2-3x a week.

Drew

Plants do poorly when you do not feed them enough, when the plant
growth is poor, the algae come in and grow well.

So add enough CO2 and traces for the plants, you'll likely need some K
and PO4 as well.

Regards,
Tom Barr