Old 20-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Dan Norgard

Default 30g 100g?

Hi;
I recently received a 100 Gallon tank and plan to put everything...fishes,
plants, substrate, biowheels and water from the 30 into it. Of course It
will already have additional substrate in it an be heated to match the
existing tank...does anyone see a problem with that? I guess you could
think of it as a 300% water change. 8^)

Thanks,

Dan

Old 21-11-2003, 06:03 AM
-=Almazick=-

Problems - NO
Converting - pain in the butt
You'll have a lot of fun and expect to spend the whole day on setting up the
new tank and don't forget about Cycle.

Old 21-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Dan Norgard

I will be transporting all the bacteria-laden gravel, the bio-wheels and
filtration, and all the water from the year-old 30g to the new 100. Do I
really need to 'cycle'? All the fish and plants are thriving in the 30.
thanks,
Dan

Old 21-11-2003, 03:46 PM
RedForeman ©®

The water will already be partially cycled, but wont' be done until the
whole surface area is covered with the bacteria, the good kind.... but
you're on the right track by using everything from the 30... I've done it
several times, and it's usually uneventful....goodluck

Old 21-11-2003, 04:42 PM
RedForeman ©®

Forgot to mention, you may go thru a bacteria bloom the first week even if
your bio-filters are cycled, because you've got another 70g of water that
has nutrients and the bacteria in the old water will eat and consume the
nutrients, causing the bacteria bloom... you might think about keeping your
lights off the first week, or to a minimum, and feed sparingly until you see
the water is clear again... I did a 30g using 15g of cycled water, gravel,
and used filter media, I still had the initial cloudy water for 4-5 days,
but just left it alone and after 7 days, the tank was crystal clear and it's
been great ever since.... And you might not have this problem at all, just
keep your test kits handy and watch Ammonia and NitrItes....