Old 20-11-2003, 10:05 PM
JHudson

Default Driftwood question

I'm in the process of planning/setting up a low-light planted aquarium. As
I will be having Java fern and moss in the aquarium I would like to put it
on driftwood. Do I have to use real driftwood or can I use the resin
imitation stuff? I am having trouble finding a piece or two that I
like.(I'm in Canada, not as many options) If its better to use the real
stuff can I get the reasons why?
Thanks

--
JHudson
Sure. Fine. Whatever. -Syzygy

Old 20-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Dinky

"JHudson" wrote in message
I'm in the process of planning/setting up a low-light planted aquarium.

As
I will be having Java fern and moss in the aquarium I would like to put it
on driftwood. Do I have to use real driftwood or can I use the resin
imitation stuff? I am having trouble finding a piece or two that I
like.(I'm in Canada, not as many options) If its better to use the real
stuff can I get the reasons why?
Thanks

Real wood can help buffer your PH in most cases, and gives 'raspers' like
Pl*cos something to gnaw on, making itself useful, rather than just being
'there'. Fake wood just doesn't look right to me, besides.

Old 21-11-2003, 04:39 AM
Matthew Calfat

Where abouts in Canada are you? If you're lucky enough to live in or around
a major center you should have no problem finding some nice pieces. They all
look good just have to find the size you need.

I've found lots of nice pieces here in Edmonton, and there are always new
ones around. I think Big Als Online might even be willing to ship them out.

Matt

Old 21-11-2003, 06:02 AM
JHudson

I'm in NE BC, 2 hrs from Prince George one way and Grande Prairie the other.
Edmonton is 6-7 hours away. Online or what the LFS can bring in is my
option, but it is sure nice to see what your getting before you buy.

Old 21-11-2003, 05:22 PM

"JHudson" wrote in message news:hEavb.67809$1K.28916@edtnps84...
I'm in the process of planning/setting up a low-light planted aquarium. As
I will be having Java fern and moss in the aquarium I would like to put it
on driftwood. Do I have to use real driftwood or can I use the resin
imitation stuff? I am having trouble finding a piece or two that I
like.(I'm in Canada, not as many options) If its better to use the real
stuff can I get the reasons why?
Thanks

Would you buy plastic plants for the plastic driftwood? If not, then
there's your answer. You can find and have wood shipped.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 22-11-2003, 07:32 PM
NetMax

"JHudson" wrote in message
I'm in the process of planning/setting up a low-light planted aquarium.

As
I will be having Java fern and moss in the aquarium I would like to put

it
on driftwood. Do I have to use real driftwood or can I use the resin
imitation stuff? I am having trouble finding a piece or two that I
like.(I'm in Canada, not as many options) If its better to use the

real
stuff can I get the reasons why?
Thanks

--
JHudson

The only down side to using real wood is it might: i) leech too much
tannins, ii) rot and/or iii) begin a mould/fungal growth. Without java
moss growing on it, it's easy to pull the piece out and clean or discard
it. Artificial wood would not suffer from rot, tannins or be likely to
attract mould/fungal growth.

The up side is that the tannins are usually desirable, and the wood
naturally softens the water. Natural wood is always unique and is like a
piece of artwork which you will spend hours looking at. Where you live,
you might have very good access to natural driftwood and then just boil
it (if possible) and attach it to a piece of slate. With a canoe, (a
measuring tape, a chainsaw, and a hacksaw) - and a few hours of checking
natural coastline, you might be able to bring home a chunk of wood which
would easily cost you over $100 in an LFS.

NetMax

Old 23-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Dan Norgard

I just went out to the woods an picked up some Oak root burls and Manzanita
branches. After soaking them in water for a couple weeks they pretty much
stopped giving off color although there was a little yellow for a while.
Anyway, theyhave been in the tank giving anchorage to Lacy Java Ferns and
Anubias for about 6 months with no adverse reactions.
Dan

--
100g Planted
Flourite substrate