Old 24-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Dieter Kedrowitsch

Default Web Based Aquarium Records Databasse

I'm in the process of writing a web based Aquarium Database using PHP
as the frontend and MySQL for the DB backend and could use some input
on things that you folks think would be handy to keep in such a
database.

My goals are to keep track of my daily/weekly test results and to make
them easily available for me to look back at and search within.
Graphical charts and trend reconignition are also in the works.

After I get a basic system finished for myself, I'd like to release it
for free to the public under the GNU license and perhaps convert it
into a desktop application rather then a web based one. I prefer web
based because I have PCs all over the house (plus a DB and Web server)
and PHP it makes it easy to interface to MySQL but I know this will
be useless for most users.

So, what I'd like to know is what kind of data would you folks like to
see in such an application? This can be anything such as temperature,
pH, KH...you name it.

So far the database has four tables - Records, Tanks, Plants, and
Fish. I only own freshwater planted tanks so I have not thought about
the Marine guys but it's easy enough to add tables should they be
needed to better suit the sal****er folks.

Anyway, the Records table holds records such as pH, KH, Temp, etc.
With the data it calculates other useful stats such as CO2 (using pH
and KH). The Tanks table holds data like Take ID, Tank Name,
Description, size, type, lights, etc. Fish holds info on fish such as
Fish ID, Common Name, Scientific Name, Date Purchased, Purchase
location, current tank, medication records, etc. Same kind of info
for plants.

So anyway, what do you think? Is anyone interested in this software?
If so, please let me know what you'd like to track in the database and
I will add it! Also let me know if you prefer to have it as a desktop
app or web based app (you would need a webserver to run it on or just
install Apache and MySQL on your PC).

Thanks,
Dieter Kedrowitsch

Old 25-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Hey Dieter

I think its a fantastic idea, although this may have already been done. Alot
of work there mate. I think for praCTICAL reasons it would be better web
based as you would have more compatible users (everyone has a browser). You
will have to do some serious planning on your database. If you use a
DSN'less connection string you will be able to run the entire application
straight off a cd or hard drive without having to add any software or
applications. Just a thought. Dreamweaver has some documentation on
Connection strings, if you need any help then let me know
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

om...

Old 25-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Cris

If you haven't already, take a look at existing software. Aquarix
http://www.aquarix.de/en/ is what I use, but it could use some
improvement. ReefCon http://www.infinitysoft.net/ReefCon/ is another
popular one. Do a Google search for aquarium software. Here are a
couple of lists that include mo
http://www.seasky.org/aquarium/sea3f...ium%20Software
http://www.fishlinkcentral.com/links...cial/Software/

Cris
Old 26-11-2003, 12:17 PM
RedForeman ©®

The table structure is pretty simple although I can not make up my
mind on how I want my relations to work out for the other tables
involving the fish and plants. Right now it's only tracking records
of test results and basic tank information. When I get to the fish
and plants it gets a little tricker. Next week I'll probably make it
to that part of it and I'll have my mind made up by then.

The things that relate, are tanks and water chemistry, unless I'm seeing it
wrong..
_________
Tank and Size
Chemistry
ph
gh
kh
am
Nitritrate
Nitratrate
Buffers used/not used/ Other
Fish
# of
breeds and broods
Added and Date added, maybe sex
plants
ferts
maintenance
freq.
% water change
Substrate

As far as the platform...I think web is the best as well, but for that
to work the users would need prebuilt versions of Apache, PHP, and
MySQL. MySQL is a requirement no mater what platform I eventually
decide on as the database would be horrible if kept in a flat file,
but for the front end I could whip something up in C and supply
precompiled binaries for Win32 and Linux.

Unless you make it simpler than breathing, most of the common public won't
be too interested...

Another thought I had last night are automated controllers. My
brother is a CS Major at PSU and is quite good with micro controllers
and their hardware level programming. I should talk to him to see how
hard it would be to interface some hardware to a PC via USB for
automatically recording temp, pH, CO2, etc and pushing the data
directly into the SQL DB automagically.

You could be on to something there, atleast for those who choose to use
it... Having your tank PC monitored is a neat idea, as long as you keep it
as simple as possible...

Good luck

Old 28-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Dieter Kedrowitsch

Not much work...in 4 hours work I already have a basic system working.
I'm a *nix system for Emerson Electric in the US and do a bit of
web/database coding in my spare time so this is a walk in the park for
me. I'm getting tired of scratching down my records on scrap paper
and loosing them by the time I need to look back to see what one of
the readings were.

[...]

Thx
Dieter

BTW: Can't stand apps like FP and Dreamweaver. Pico, VI, and KWrite
are all I use. I have a MS free house anyway so none of that stuff
works (natively).