Old 24-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Keith E. Loyd

Default Platy breeding question

Howdy,

Suppose you bought 2 adult platys and put them in a good environment. Am I
guaranteed babies or do I need to buy a male?

background-
the tank is a heavily planted 37 g. with little other animal life
(otocinculus, snails, those Japanese algae eating shrimp). I am away from
town or busy or whatever, so my tanks have traditionally been all plants and
very little fauna. I had golfish but got rid of them recently. The tank
was in good shape but too boring after that, so I got these 2 platys to give
it some animation.

I remember hearing certain species' females store sperm, so that they can
have another brood even if they do not appear pregnant now.

I also intended to buy a male and female, but they both look like girls to
me now.

regards,
Keith Loyd

Platy breeding question Keith E. Loyd Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 10-12-2003 04:07 PM
koi breeding [email protected] Ponds 13 30-04-2003 01:56 AM
Is breeding between different species possible? Frank Martin Plant Science 7 26-04-2003 01:26 PM
[Fwd: GM Crops are Breeding with Plants in the Wild] [email protected] sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:28 PM
Pig breeding in Canada Helge Buchholz sci.agriculture 0 26-04-2003 12:22 PM