Old 07-12-2003, 12:32 PM
john west

Default scummy blue green seaweed

hi, i have not had an aquarium for long, but i have a blue green
scummy seaweed growing on the top of my proper seaweed. also some blue
green weed is growing on the water pump as well. how can i stop this
growing please.

my tank is not near a window, i mention that because someone said the
tank should not get too much daylight. thanking you john west
Old 07-12-2003, 05:13 PM
Dinky

"john west" wrote in message
om...
hi, i have not had an aquarium for long, but i have a blue green
scummy seaweed growing on the top of my proper seaweed. also some blue
green weed is growing on the water pump as well. how can i stop this
growing please.

my tank is not near a window, i mention that because someone said the
tank should not get too much daylight. thanking you john west

Different algae types require different combat methods.
http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html

Old 08-12-2003, 10:44 AM
john west ++++

"john west" wrote in message
om...
hi, i have not had an aquarium for long, but i have a blue green
scummy seaweed growing on the top of my proper seaweed. also some blue
green weed is growing on the water pump as well. how can i stop this
growing please.

my tank is not near a window, i mention that because someone said the
tank should not get too much daylight. thanking you john west

thanks for your help, i suspect the problem is the quality of the water.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Acgelok

hi, i have not had an aquarium for long, but i have a blue green
scummy seaweed growing on the top of my proper seaweed. also some blue
green weed is growing on the water pump as well. how can i stop this
growing please.

my tank is not near a window, i mention that because someone said the
tank should not get too much daylight. thanking you john west

thanks for your help, i suspect the problem is the quality of the water.

The algea you discribe sounds like the dreaded "Bluegreen algea" to be sure rub
some between thumb & finger and notice a truly foul smell you'l not easely
forget.
If this is the case, it's usualy caused from overfeeding or to many fish in the
tank. It can be eradicated by dosing with 5mg. per gal. of erythromicin and
lights out 3-4 days
this stuff is a mixture of cyanobactor & algea and should be treated as a
bacteria
Good luck , let us know how you make out
the afore is personal exp. and not gospel I of course yield to the experts
regards Art

Old 09-12-2003, 06:12 AM
Happy'Cam'per

John,

Do a large (50%) water change, clean your filter, vacuum the gravel. You
might consider getting a more efficient filter. Also, your nitrates might be
very low. Is this a planted tank?
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

om...