Old 08-12-2003, 06:10 AM
François Arsenault

Default Sand as substrate

Hello everyone,

Is regular sand, say of the typical sandbox type, an appropriate substrate
for a planted aquarium? At first I thought it would do just fine (which it
may be, for all I know). It's cheap, and I figured it might make it easier
to plant the plants than regular gravel.

However, I'm now wondering if such a substrate might be too tightly packed
for the roots. I mean, could it prevent enough nutrients from reaching them?
Is there a chance the roots or buried stems might rot because of it?

Is planting easier in sand than in gravel? The smaller grains might "mold"
the lower stems and roots better, holding the plants into place better than
gravel. But I have no experience with this, and it's entirely possible that
it's actually harder with sand.

Also, what happens when you use a siphon in sand? Is it light enough to get
sucked up along with the water?

If sand is a good substrate, are there types that are unsafe and should be
avoided? I assume the nature of the sand is a factor, like sand that
releases heavy metals or other toxic substances.

Thank you for your help.

Francois

Flourite + Sand Substrate a good idea? SteveC Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 18-07-2003 11:14 AM
Sand sand and sand kcchin Gardening 8 15-06-2003 05:20 PM
Flourite + Sand Substrate a good idea? SteveC Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 27-05-2003 06:20 AM
Long term with sand/laterite mix substrate SteveG Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:17 AM
Profile/Laterite/Sand as substrate redled Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:10 AM