Old 11-12-2003, 10:49 PM
JHudson

Default Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting

Hi
I was reading somewhere that to help fight algae you can turn your lights
off 2-3 hours in the middle of the day. Has anybody done this? Any
experiences good or bad? Also regarding length, I read anywhere from 10hrs
to 15hrs a day for a tank. My tank is low light(just under 2 watts/gallon)
and was wondering is there anything that would help me decide the number of
hours I should have it on.
Thanks

--
JHudson
Sure. Fine. Whatever. -Syzygy

Old 12-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Amit

Mmm....
I tried is as well and read in many places the a 'Siesta' of photo period is
bad for Algae and would not effect your plants.... So have I read... And
tried for about 2 weeks... didn't help at all.
I recommend 10 -12 hours a day. I also run a low light tank.... So it is
also a matter of experience..

Old 13-12-2003, 03:12 AM
LoaderLady

I just read this recently as well and mentioned it to another group I am on.
Apparently, plants can begin photosynthesis as soon as there is light to do
so, but algae needs an extended period of light to get going. Shutting off
the lights will stop both the plants and the algae from photosynthesizing
but the plants start right back up again, where the algae takes a while to
get going again.

I have been doing it with my 2 tanks, but they haven't been set up long
enough to give a real opinion on it either way yet. I have just started to
"go green" but none of my tanks (planted and not) have much algae build up
to begin with.

--
} Tammy {
Support the Canakin Project with me, by linking to your favorite store from

Watkins Business Opportunity
www.tsginfo.com Enter code TD3796
Me and my fish Thank You!!

Old 13-12-2003, 06:32 AM
coelacanth

I just this week gave up on the "Siesta" approach. I found that
the algae was growing better with a 3 hour blackout mid-day.
My (wild assed) guess is that since the algae is on the front,
closest (though perpendicular to) a window several meters
away, it go sufficient illumination and access to nutrients while
the vascular plants were "sleeping". In any case, the return of a
normal 12 hour cycle has encouraged a burst of activity by
my ottos.

-coelacanth

P.S. I've since looked at some of the discussion of using a
"siesta" and I must say I doubt that there is convincing
evidence to support the "slow algal photosynthesis"
theory that's being asserted.