Old 12-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Registered User

Location: USA wisconsin
Default setting up 90gal. planted tank

Hi all,

Newbie here, Just joined GB. I'm a housewife, have about 30 tanks of all sizes from 90g down to 2gal. Most ar Cichlid breeding tanks, one 20gal long Reef tank and a 55 gal planted tank.

My largest tank is now a 90 gal. Cichlid tank. Selling all the cichlids. too bad you'llll live so far away. the Cichlids are adult males in full color. from 4" to 7" some wild. nice fish. back to the 90 gal..

Want to turn this tank into a planted tank. Have questions on what substrate to use. because of my age, and the size of this tank i don't want to have to change the substrate ever few years.
need trouble free... yes...

So .... been looking at

Flora Base by Red Sea.
www.redseafish.com
or

Seachem Flourite

Or
Carib-Sea Eco-Complete th planted AQuarium Substrate.
carib-sea.com

Of the three the Eco-Complete sounds the best but truly don't know.

Can you new friends out there please tell me (if you have used it) the good and bad on each.
Old 17-12-2003, 12:43 AM
Carlos

I have never used any flourite or laterite or anything but plain gravel and
have been having a wonderful result always. I suggest you start simple, few
plants, easy ones, vals, amazons, nanas, onions etc, which need almost
nothing but a few fertilizing once in a while, get a few books start reading
a lot and then complicate things. keep it simple for now thats my
suggestion, until you get a grip of the hobby.
im still a newbie after a few years now.

take care

news

--
De Anna

De Anna

Don't dig a hole for another, you just might fall into it, yourself.

Newsgroups

=---

Old 17-12-2003, 02:47 PM
RedForeman ©®

"De Anna" wrote in message
Hi all,

Glad to have ya....

Newbie here, Just joined GB. I'm a housewife, have about 30 tanks of
all sizes from 90g down to 2gal. Most ar Cichlid breeding tanks,
one 20gal long Reef tank and a 55 gal planted tank.

Sounds like fun.... I'd love to do a reef tank.... that's cool....

My largest tank is now a 90 gal. Cichlid tank. Selling all the
cichlids. too bad you'llll live so far away. the Cichlids are adult
males in full color. from 4" to 7" some wild. nice fish. back to
the 90 gal..

Want to turn this tank into a planted tank. Have questions on what
substrate to use. because of my age, and the size of this tank i
don't want to have to change the substrate ever few years.
need trouble free... yes...

I've always used, Flourite. It mixes well with any colored gravel, and it's
great for plants....
Seachem Flourite

Carib-Sea Eco-Complete th planted AQuarium Substrate.
carib-sea.com

I saw a tank with this being set up, it was said to not cloud the water, but
anything does, and it did... but two days later, it really looked nice...
almost like onyx sand... I've used onyx sand too, and it's wonderful... and
EXPENSIVE... but either one will aid in the plant growth.

Of the three the Eco-Complete sounds the best but truly don't know.

I don't know enough to pro or con either, except for what I've used, but Eco
may be in my next smaller tank, more for cost....

Good luck, get a camera and take lots of pictures... then post them to
alt.binaries.aquaria

--

RedForeman ©®