Old 15-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Harry Muscle

Default How much water movement in 55G planted tank?

I'm hopefully gonna be buying most of my equipment for my upcoming 55G
planted tank on Boxing Day (I think it's a Canadian thing ... lots of sales)
and I'm wondering if I should pick up a power head also to help out with
water movement. So far the only thing that I have planned to move water
around is the canister filter, a Filstar XP2, rated at 270gph (roughly the
same as a Fluval 304). Will that be enough water movement? Too much? I'm
planning on making it an average community tank with as many plants as I can
keep alive .

Thanks,
Harry

Old 19-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Giancarlo Podio

I think the XP2 will give you sufficient water movement. You can also
personalize the output using a spray bar or other method to customize
the flow and current. I use an Eheim 2217 on the 55 gallon and it
provides more than enough current, I actually had to slow it down a
little at first until the filter became a little dirty. Now it's
perfect.

I have tried an extra powerhead and while the extra current seems to
help reduce the accumulation of any dust algae on the glass, it is an
eyesore in such a tank and difficult to hide.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio