Old 16-12-2003, 03:42 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default 55g ready, so now what?

i've decided to go with T8 bulbs, seeing as how I've got several laying
around....but how many?

Anyone got some recommendations on T8 bulbs??? what kelvin rating?

--

RedForeman ©®

Old 17-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Greg G.

RedForeman ©® wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

i've decided to go with T8 bulbs, seeing as how I've got several laying
around....but how many?

Anyone got some recommendations on T8 bulbs??? what kelvin rating?

I use T-8s on my 75 gal. Four would be a 'medium light' arrangement.
You might even get some red out of a few plant towards the top of the
tank. Six would grow most plants.

Go to your local industrial lighting supplier and get a few Phillips
T-8 5000k bulbs. They run about $3.25 each. Tri-phosphor, long life
bulbs. Use a couple Sylvania Quicktronic ballasts. Instant start.
You might even throw in a couple daylights (6500K) to bring out the
blues in Neons/Cardinals and such.

Greg

Old 17-12-2003, 05:03 AM
Greg G.

RedForeman ©® wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

i've decided to go with T8 bulbs, seeing as how I've got several laying
around....but how many?

Anyone got some recommendations on T8 bulbs??? what kelvin rating?

I use T-8s on my 75 gal. Four would be a 'medium light' arrangement.
You might even get some red out of a few plant towards the top of the
tank. Six would grow most plants.

Go to your local industrial lighting supplier and get a few Phillips
ALTO F032T8/TL850 bulbs. They run about $3.25 each. 5000K,
Tri-phosphor, long life bulbs. Use a couple Sylvania Quicktronic
ballasts. Instant start. They have one that runs two tubes, and one
that runs four. You might even throw in a couple daylights (6500K) to

Old 17-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Greg G.

Greg G. wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

Go to your local industrial lighting supplier and get a few Phillips
ALTO F032T8/TL850 bulbs. They run about $3.25 each.

Sorry about the double post, my provider lost the last post for 2 days
and I reposted. Then it showed...

Greg

Old 17-12-2003, 02:33 PM
RedForeman ©®

typical ISP splacking.. no biggie.. Thanks Greg, that's pretty much what I
wanted to know, what temp bulbs and such, thanks...

I can't wait to set this tank up.... the wife is anxious too....

--

RedForeman ©®

Old 17-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Peter Gennaro

Now you can sit back and watch the algae grow!

Old 17-12-2003, 09:39 PM
RedForeman ©®

just curious... why would algae grow?
--

RedForeman ©®

Old 18-12-2003, 05:42 AM
Greg G.

RedForeman ©® wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

just curious... why would algae grow?

High light and nutrient levels generally result in rapid growth of
algae. Once it is in your tank, carried in on plants and such, it can
gain a substantial foothold. It is the bane of planted tank keepers.
Kind of like pond snails - only worse...

Careful management of nutrients and possibly bleach dips for the
plants before placing them in the tank are two ways to help eliminate
this problem. ;-)

Try the krib for more info.
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/

Good Luck!

Old 19-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Giancarlo Podio

I use the all-glass tripple T8 fixture on my 90 gallon and it is
working great as a low light setup. I'm using the GE bulbs that came
with the fixture. The tank is gowing many low-medium light plants
without CO2 or liquid fertilizers, just a rich substrate composed of
Flourite, Flourish Tabs, mulm and a little peat. I also tried this
fixture on my 55 gallon with CO2 and it was quite good. If you're
looking for higher light, 4-6 tubes would probably grow just about
anything. The three I tried grew E.Stellata quite well in the 55
gallon for example.

Hope that helps
Giancarlo Podio