Old 19-12-2003, 02:45 AM
Ian

Default Metal Halide Pendant Lighting

Seasons greetings everyone!
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever used metal halide pendants over
their fish tanks? I like the idea of having the ability to lower or raise
the light as needed. Additionally, metal halide has that shimmer effect
that shines into the tank. I am planning on using it over a 75 Gallon tank
(48X18X20). I'm wondering if I need to invest in 2 pendants. I would prefer
one 250 Watt MH pendant for simplicity and for costs. I figure I can hang
it over my tank and get several light zones, i.e. high light need plants
would be directly under the glow, slower growers in the periphery. Any
thoughts?

Old 19-12-2003, 03:05 PM
RedForeman ©®

metal halide??? what's that??

Just kidding, many pple use it, very popular, and lots of research to be
done by you...

www.google.com must be used to find MUCH information....

There are alot of users here that use them, but you can use google to do
general research

--

RedForeman ©®

y.com...

Old 19-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Michi Henning

"Ian" wrote in message
y.com...
I am planning on using it over a 75 Gallon tank
(48X18X20). I'm wondering if I need to invest in 2 pendants. I would prefer
one 250 Watt MH pendant for simplicity and for costs. I figure I can hang
it over my tank and get several light zones, i.e. high light need plants
would be directly under the glow, slower growers in the periphery. Any
thoughts?

I don't think you can get away with a single pendant for a 48" tank.
You'd end up with much of the tank being awfully dark.
I would use two 150W pendants. That will give you just over a watt
per liter, which is a little on the high side but, with CO2 and nutrients,
you'll get spectacular plant growth.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc. http://www.zeroc.com

Old 19-12-2003, 09:27 PM

"Ian" wrote in message gy.com...
Seasons greetings everyone!
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever used metal halide pendants over
their fish tanks? I like the idea of having the ability to lower or raise
the light as needed. Additionally, metal halide has that shimmer effect
that shines into the tank. I am planning on using it over a 75 Gallon tank
(48X18X20). I'm wondering if I need to invest in 2 pendants. I would prefer
one 250 Watt MH pendant for simplicity and for costs. I figure I can hang
it over my tank and get several light zones, i.e. high light need plants
would be directly under the glow, slower growers in the periphery. Any
thoughts?

I'd go, with 2 175w/150w HQI double ended bulbs.
Electronic ballast.

I use a powercompacts and have a small insert of wood that raises the
lights up 2 inches for access and the tank is glass, so I made the
hood 1/2" longer on each end to allow the light hood/box to set on
these glass 3/8" thick resting post 5" high(the light drops down over
these to about 2" over the tank).

The hood is open top designed, but uses PC lights.

I like MH's, but I do not like large ugly globes hanging.
I do like amnd greatlty prefer the HQI lights, these are small, sleek,
and they make very small fixtures, roughly 3"x6"x4" small triangular
prism shaped.

These look nice and work well.
They cost about 2x as much.

But the long term usage is worth it IMO.
But if you want the globe fixtures etc, at least get the electronic
ballast for MH's. You will save the difference in $ in light output
and bulb life and unlike the tar ballast, these are 100% silent.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 20-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Aquatic-Store.com

Just make sure the lights are low enough if this will be in a room
with a tv or other things as the lighting can blind ya while sitting
on a couch
Kasselmann aquarium plants book 65.99

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Power compact bulbs and MH the lowest on the net
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

do you want a FREE CO2 Regulator or FREE CO2 DIFFUSOR????

Swing on by our webbforum to see how to get one!!

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 22-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Blarneytoad

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 02:33:39 GMT, "Ian" wrote:

Seasons greetings everyone!
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever used metal halide pendants over
their fish tanks? I like the idea of having the ability to lower or raise
the light as needed. Additionally, metal halide has that shimmer effect
that shines into the tank. I am planning on using it over a 75 Gallon tank
(48X18X20). I'm wondering if I need to invest in 2 pendants. I would prefer
one 250 Watt MH pendant for simplicity and for costs. I figure I can hang
it over my tank and get several light zones, i.e. high light need plants
would be directly under the glow, slower growers in the periphery. Any
thoughts?

I think you're going to need 2 pendants. 175 watters should be good.
Corallife makes them in black and white I believe. I have 2 over my
55g tank with glass plates covering the top-you will get a lot of
evaporation with these over a tank.The back 3 inches is uncovered so
I typically get plants growing out of the tank in those areas (I've
had various plants actually flower)

Old 23-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Ian

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've got some thinking to do now.
The tank I'm planning on buying has a plastic brace in the center actually.
I am slightly fearful that that brace will actually block out a good portion
of the light. That's why I'm leaning towards 2 lights, but at twice the
cost unfortunately. I dunno.