Old 20-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Amit

Default Pillow feeling as filter media ?

Did anyone tried that white stuff they fill in pillows (Peron, I think...)
instead the one made especially for Aquaria filters ?
Any Comments ?? Rejects ???
10x

Amit

Old 21-12-2003, 03:32 AM
LoaderLady

I don't know about pillow filler, but I use quilt batting in my power
filters. Acts as a mechanical and biological filter.

--
} Tammy {
Support the Canakin Project with me, by linking to your favorite store from

Watkins Business Opportunity
www.tsginfo.com Enter code TD3796
Me and my fish Thank You!!

Old 21-12-2003, 09:02 AM
Amit

I just want to use it instead of the white perlon/Akrylan they sell in Pet
store as the last filtering stage. not as a replacement for the filter
media.
10x

Old 21-12-2003, 04:42 PM
NetMax

"Amit" wrote in message
Did anyone tried that white stuff they fill in pillows (Peron, I

think...)
instead the one made especially for Aquaria filters ?
Any Comments ?? Rejects ???
10x

Amit

Myself, I have concerns about using products which are not designed for
constant water immersion and living creatures. Even in the aquarium
trade we went through types of glass wool which were later found to have
fibres which would enter the water column and get trapped in gills (so I
heard), and then there were the filter wools which turned into a mass of
pulp, after a long exposure to the combination of debris & bacteria.

Floss used for pillow stuffing could conceivably be sprayed with an
anti-bacterial/fungal coating, which would make a better pillow, but not
a better filter. There are also such a variety of chemicals used to
whiten, clean, sterilize and make materials inert after manufacturing
processes, that I would be leery of putting them in my aquarium water. As
an example, the white floss used to stuff pillows, sold by Dupont is
mildew resistance = fungicide = death to fish at sufficient
concentrations.

Quote "are primarily used in seat cushions, back pillows, mattresses,
decorative and throw pillows, and hand-stuffed custom upholstery. DuPont
Dacron® clusters have superior loft and retention, and unlike natural
fibres, are hypo-allergenic, non-absorbent, and mildew-resistant"
unquote, found he
http://www.dupont.com/fiberfill/abou...on-story2.html

Even if you find out that it's non-toxic, the manufacturer is under no
obligation to keep to a non-toxic (when submerged in water) recipe, nor
are their buyers constrained from changing supply lines, as lower quotes
come up on these commodity items. Unless it's designated for aquarium
use, there is some risk to weigh against the savings.

Note that it would be almost impossible (and very frustrating) to
diagnose and treat fish which were suffering from low level fungicide
poisoning. ymmv

NetMax

FS: Contoured Therapeutic Memory Foam Pillow - via auction [email protected] Texas 0 18-03-2005 01:36 AM
Pond Filter Media Bob Ponds 1 28-03-2003 08:56 PM
bio filter media lee Ponds 2 03-03-2003 10:07 PM
carbon filter media + planted tanks Phil Williamson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 01-03-2003 04:06 AM