GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/49343-recommendation-chlorine-chloramine-remover.html)

Harry Muscle 29-12-2003 07:32 PM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

Could someone recommend a good chlorine/chloramine remover to get, that
works good, and is cheap in the long run? I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with
a product that just removes the chlorine/chloramine/ammonia and nothing else
(ie: no slime coat stuff, etc.). Which means I'm trying to choose between
the following: (taken from http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm)

API Ammo-Lock
Kent Ammonia Detox
Kordon Amquel
Marineland BIO-Safe
Seachem AmGuard

Any of these better than the other? Which one would be best and most
economical (though money is second p , I'd rather go for best)? Any help
in choosing is greatly appreciated. If you know of any other that you
really like, I'm willing to consider them too.

Thanks,
Harry

Bob Alston 29-12-2003 08:33 PM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

Find out if your water has chloramine or just plain chlorine. If just plain
old chlorine, then sodium thiosulfate is your cheapest alternative. One
pound, which I bought locally for $8.00, will probably last my lifetime.
See this link for more info on chlorine removers:

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...hlorineRemoval

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com

Harry Muscle 29-12-2003 09:10 PM

"Bob Alston" wrote in message
Find out if your water has chloramine or just plain chlorine. If just

plain
old chlorine, then sodium thiosulfate is your cheapest alternative. One
pound, which I bought locally for $8.00, will probably last my lifetime.
See this link for more info on chlorine removers:

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...hlorineRemoval

--
Bob Alston

Actually it can have one or the other. According to my city's web site,
there are two pumps that provide water, one uses only chlorine, the other
chloramines, which one I actually get my water from, I'm not sure, and I'm
guessing it might be dynamic depending on water demands, etc.

So I have to assume the worst and plan for chloramines all the time.

Thanks,
Harry

Chuck Gadd 30-12-2003 09:32 PM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:18:19 -0500, "Harry Muscle"
wrote:

Could someone recommend a good chlorine/chloramine remover to get, that
works good, and is cheap in the long run? I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with

I use seachem prime. It deals with Chlorine and Chloramine.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

LtWolfe 30-12-2003 09:32 PM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

I prefer Seachem Prime. It's cheaper that Am-quel, as the dosege (sp?) is less (about 1ml per 10
gallons).
Len wrote in :

AMQUEL is the best.

Chuck Gadd 30-12-2003 09:33 PM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:31:06 -0600, "Bob Alston"
wrote:

Find out if your water has chloramine or just plain chlorine. If just plain
old chlorine, then sodium thiosulfate is your cheapest alternative. One

More and more water treatment facilities are switching to Chloramine,
so you need to be careful that yours doesn't switch without telling
you.

Additionally, be aware that even if your local water treatment plant
only uses Chlorine, it is possible that trace amounts of ammonia (from
agricultural runoff, etc), could combine with the chlorine and form
chloramine.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Harry Muscle 31-12-2003 03:05 AM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

"LtWolfe" wrote in message
. ..
I prefer Seachem Prime. It's cheaper that Am-quel, as the dosege (sp?) is

less (about 1ml per 10
gallons).

Thanks, the only thing I don't like about Prime is that it does more than
just remove the chlorine/chloramines ... which isn't always a bad thing, but
I'd rather use just the minimum amount of chemicals needed to get the job
done. Check out the bottom of this site for a better explanation of what I
mean:

LtWolfe 01-01-2004 12:03 AM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

Hmmm... I didn't know about that other Seachem Ammonia product. Sounds cheaper than Prime:)
Will have to check it out. Thank _you_. I didn't care for the other things Prime did, either.
"Harry Muscle" wrote in
:

. ..

[email protected] 01-01-2004 09:54 PM

wrote:

Could someone recommend a good chlorine/chloramine remover to get, that
works good, and is cheap in the long run? I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with

I use seachem prime. It deals with Chlorine and Chloramine.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

Ditto here, and Amquel.
Regards,
Tom Barr

neilw 03-01-2004 10:28 PM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

As far as I'm aware the only two products that remove the ammonias that chloramine leaves behind are API Ammo-Lock
Kent Ammonia Detox. Most other dechlorinators claim to remove chloramine and probably do, but the chloramine leaves behind ammonias which aren't removed.

Dan Drake 07-01-2004 08:01 PM

Recommendation for chlorine/chloramine remover?

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 22:28:33 UTC, neilw
wrote:

As far as I'm aware the only two products that remove the ammonias that
chloramine leaves behind are API Ammo-Lock
Kent Ammonia Detox. Most other dechlorinators claim to remove
chloramine and probably do, but the chloramine leaves behind ammonias
which aren't removed.

Is there any reason to believe that the claims for Amquel are a lie? It
is claimed to remove ammonia (but not to isolate it so much that the
plants and bacteria can't get it), and many people use it specifically to
keep ammonia under control in tanks that have a temporary shortage of
biological filtration.

--
Dan Drake

http://www.dandrake.com

Harry Muscle 07-01-2004 08:06 PM

wrote:

As far as I'm aware the only two products that remove the ammonias that
chloramine leaves behind are API Ammo-Lock
Kent Ammonia Detox. Most other dechlorinators claim to remove
chloramine and probably do, but the chloramine leaves behind ammonias
which aren't removed.

Is there any reason to believe that the claims for Amquel are a lie? It
is claimed to remove ammonia (but not to isolate it so much that the
plants and bacteria can't get it), and many people use it specifically to
keep ammonia under control in tanks that have a temporary shortage of
biological filtration.

--
Dan Drake

http://www.dandrake.com

I found some neat articles in google groups about how amquel works
chemically, from what I read, it all seems to make sense.

Harry