Old 01-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Kudzu

Default MH question

Just talked to a fellow about a used 125 gallon tank and he has MH lighting
with it. (was a reef). It has 2 175 watt MH lights. I have never used these
so curious if this is enough light for a 125G?

This will be a show tank, main focal point in the room. Mostly just typical
plants with lots of small fish. Nothing rare or hard to grow.
--
Kudzu *\\
The man that always tells the truth never has to remember what he said

Old 01-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Carlos

well, metal halide provides good lighting but for spots only not for the
whole tank, also it is very very hot, causes severe temperature conditions
where it is directed. Metal halide is recommended to be directed minimum
over 12 inches above the aquarium. The ripple effect it causes over the
water is very beautiful but it has its draw backs.

I would invest in a compact flourescent system, it will be much cooler and
can be directed over the whole tank, also can be made pendant if you like a
ripple effect. think of 2-4 watts/gal of water for a planted tank, not
more, less well maybe but not more.

take care and best of lucks.