Old 05-01-2004, 07:42 PM
K. Elliot

Default Activated carbon in filter - will this remove the liquid iron fert I add to the tank?

Hello all.

I have a 55 gallon lightly planted tank with the following contents:

Fish consisting of:
- five bleeding heart tetras
- four long fin zebra danios
- four ottos
- one clown pl*co
- three Yoyo botias

Plants consisting of:
- anachris
- java moss
- lacey java fern
- amazon sword (which isn't doing all that well at this point)
- hyprophilia polysperma

I have 160 watts of flouresent lighting (light is on 9 hrs daily)

Here is my quick question. If I add liquid iron fert (LEAF ZONE) to
my tank, will the activated carbon in my filter remove it (in effect
nullifying the addition of the iron in the first place)??

I seem to continue to have an algae problem (although it is simply a
nuisance at this point) and added the carbon media in hopes it would
cut down on some of the nutrients that the algae are feeding on.
Should I just add more plants to my tank in hopes of the plants
outcompeting the algae for nutrients.

My ammonia & nitrites are zero. Nitrates are between 10-15ppm when I
do a weekly 20% water change. Ph is approx 7.0 - 7.2.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Sorry this post is so lenthy...just
wanted to make sure you had as much info as possible. Thanks again.

Kevin
Old 05-01-2004, 09:32 PM
RedForeman ©®

"K. Elliot" wrote in message
Hello all.
I have a 55 gallon lightly planted tank

snipped
I have 160 watts of flouresent lighting (light is on 9 hrs daily)

My guess would be 4x40w fixtures, regular Normal output Floros, right? that
gives almost 3WPG, which may almost require CO2.. the threshold is 3-4WPG =
high tech tank...1-2WPG=Low tech tank

Try this, take one bulb out, leave it out, keep lights on for same
duration... basically, I'm guessing you're feeding the plants all the light
they need, and the algae is taking advantage of that.... Do you use CO2 or
Seachem Excel?

Here is my quick question. If I add liquid iron fert (LEAF ZONE) to
my tank, will the activated carbon in my filter remove it (in effect
nullifying the addition of the iron in the first place)??

Not that I've heard, it may absorb some, but not especially strip it from
the water...

I seem to continue to have an algae problem (although it is simply a
nuisance at this point) and added the carbon media in hopes it would
cut down on some of the nutrients that the algae are feeding on.
Should I just add more plants to my tank in hopes of the plants
outcompeting the algae for nutrients.

the best way to combat algae is to do regular water changes, but larger
volume than usual...

My ammonia & nitrites are zero. Nitrates are between 10-15ppm when I
do a weekly 20% water change. Ph is approx 7.0 - 7.2.

Higher nitrates are what algaes USUALLY feed off of.... yours don't seem
high...

Any info is greatly appreciated. Sorry this post is so lenthy...just
wanted to make sure you had as much info as possible. Thanks again.

Kevin

My simple guess is, algae needs light, it needs food.... Cut back light, get
food out of the water, and it'll lessen....eventually it'll lose the battle
and YOU win... sometimes it's as simple as overfeeding a tank will start the
algae bloom.... or lights degrading... or CO2 running out.... strike a
balance....

--

RedForeman ©®

Old 06-01-2004, 08:32 AM
Nwwise01

I seem to continue to have an algae problem (although it is simply a
nuisance at this point) and added the carbon media in hopes it would
cut down on some of the nutrients that the algae are feeding on.
Should I just add more plants to my tank in hopes of the plants
outcompeting the algae for nutrients.

Adding more plants would not solve the problem because these new plants would
not outcompete the algae for the same reason your old plants are not. Find out
why your old plants are not winning and correct this.

My ammonia & nitrites are zero. Nitrates are between 10-15ppm when I
do a weekly 20% water change. Ph is approx 7.0 - 7.2.

What are your nitrates before the water change? I'll wager they are higher
than the 10-15ppm you get. A healthy growing tank will suck nitrates down to
zero ao that you will need to add additional nitrates. Since yours are not,
there must be another limiting factor. I think the obvious answer is CO2.
With 160W over a 55 gallon you really need to add CO2.

You did not mention of you were adding CO2, but if you are, then look to some
other limiting factor to plant growth. Are you dosing potassium? Do you have
a phosphate test kit? If your plants are not getting significant amounts of
either, they will not be able to utilize all the nitrates in your system and
thus the algae will take advantage of the excess.

N.Wise
Old 06-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Carlos

i have a 55 gal tank covered with plants, maybe thats the key, i will
suggest adding a few more plants, hygrophilia should grow very fast under
those conditions. are your bulbs old? do u supply co2? the amazon sword
should grow very fast and beautiful, but its a very demanding plant in terms
of fertilizers, it requires a rich substrate (root tablets), do u provide
them?

also check for plants (Water lettuce, dont think duckweed please) for the
surface, many times these plants have saved my tank from an algae
infestation. i had your problem once, maybe worse, about three years ago my
plants were covered all over by this blue-green mess algae, i corrected the
problem adding some water lettuce my mom gave me as a present, a month went
through and the algae disapeared. maybe you have too much nutrients in your
water, that was my problem, the water lettuce is very demanding in terms of
nutrients, it absorbs them very fast. i didnt feed the tank with iron or
micro until the algae was gone.

hope this helps.