Old 06-01-2004, 04:42 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default Sunset Hygro, grows, then nothing...

I've had what I thought was great luck in a low light tank with java fern
and sunset hygro.. the javafern looks great, but the hygro, well, it's NOT
looking so great....

Nearer the top, it keeps it's leaves, but near the bottom, they get holes
and drop off, leaving a bare stalk...

Is this a deficiency??? It grows like a weed at the top, but drops leaves as
it goes... could it be too low of light for the bottom, because it IS
growing as is everything else in the tank... could the bottom be shaded too
much to grow, therefore dropping leaves???

I've browsed Chuck Gadd's excellent articles about deficiency and either
it's iron, mg, potossium, or something else????

--

RedForeman ©®

Old 06-01-2004, 11:37 PM
N. Wise

a low light tank with java fern
and sunset hygro

Sunset hygro is NOT a low light plant. It needs at least 2 WPG.

Nearer the top, it keeps it's leaves, but near the bottom, they get holes
and drop off, leaving a bare stalk.

That's because it is closer to the light at the top. The leaves at the bottom
are not receiving sufficient light. This is no deficiency.
N. Wise
http://members.aol.com/nwwise01/

Old 07-01-2004, 03:45 PM
RedForeman ©®

makes sense.... I'll be thinning it so the bottom rec's some light...
Actually, I'll have to thin the java fern that is covering it, I think
that's where it's not getting enough light....

thanks.

--

RedForeman ©®