Old 07-01-2004, 01:39 PM
Todd Dunn

Default Hornwort dying off

I was growing hornwort like crazy! I'd prune it and bundle up clumps to put
around my aquarium. It was growing about an inch a day.

I gave a huge bunch to a friend and they said that all the "pine needles"
started falling off within a day.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago, my hornwort started dying off - shedding needles
and looking "brown and fuzzy." Now, I am at about 10% of what I had a month
ago. I did have a run of ich in the tank. I treated the entire tank and
raised the temp to about 80F to accellerate the life cycle of the disease.

I lowered the heater setting, but it's been rather warm here in Florida. The
tank has stayed about 78F. Do you think the higher heat could have caused
the plant die-off?

Thanks,

Todd

Old 07-01-2004, 03:02 PM
LeighMo

Do you think the higher heat could have caused
the plant die-off?

Yes. Hornwort prefers cooler temps. If your hornwort is "shedding," it's
probably too warm.

Leigh

Old 14-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Happy'Cam'per

I would have to say yes to this, either that or it has sucked all the
nutrients from the water column! Are you Macro ferting at all
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

om...

Old 14-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Todd Dunn

Actually, no... I haven't been fertilizing. I guess I really ought to. Now
that you mention it, it seems so obvious. Alright, what would you recommend
that could find down here in Florida?

Thanks for the obvious answer.

Todd

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message

I would have to say yes to this, either that or it has sucked all the
nutrients from the water column! Are you Macro ferting at all
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

om...

Old 15-01-2004, 08:04 AM
Happy'Cam'per

Thats also a good point Robert, meds can do some damage to the plants.
Todd, if you can get your hands on Potassium Nitrate aka Salt Petre from the
chemist or pharmacy. Add about an 8th of a t-spoon per 10 gallons of water.
This should bring the Nitartes up a tad. You could add a small ammount of
trace ferts but I'm not so sure if its necessary, how big is your tank, how
big a fishload and light do you have?
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**