Old 10-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Evergreen

Default Where to put output of DIY CO2?

I am currently setting up a DIY CO2 system on my 46g tank. (and BTW, the
posts in this group regarding this have been very helpful!) I have set up a
single juice container for now. My tank is using a wet/dry filtration.
Where do I put the output of the CO2 container? Right now I have the juice
container sitting on top of the filter on the sump box and the output is
going right down into the sump box next to the pump. My thinking is that
since the CO2 is coming out right by the pump, it will get pumped right into
the tank. I didn't want to put the output at the intake in the tank because
I figured the CO2 would be released from the water as it trickles through
the filter.

Is my thinking correct on this? I set up the CO2 tank in accordance with
the article he

http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquarium...cid=58&search=

There was no mention made in the article of where to put the output on a
wet/dry filtration system. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 12-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Djay

I would say that where you have it currently is the best place. The bubbles
should get smashed pretty well in your pump and then disolved - hopefully
fully before they reach the surface of your tank. Did you notice a drop in
PH?
The only better place would be in a reactor inside the aquarium. You'd have
to feed the output of your sump pump into some type of CO2 reactor and
bubble the CO2 into the bottom of of the reactor. Lots of sites showing DIY
reactors and their setup.

HTH,

DJay

Old 13-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Evergreen

I tested it about two days ago (two days after starting it) and I didn't
notice any drop in the PH. Was still at its normal 8.2. I guess I should
check it again. The instructions said the DIY CO2 was only good for a 20 -
30 gallon, so since my tank is 46g, I figured I would wait a week after
starting the first one and start a second one so that I can have a rotation
with them.

I haven't researched this extensively, but the store-bought reactor one that
I see advertised in Aquarium Fish magazine is only good for, I think, 30
gallons. Which means I would need two...and between the factor of the money
and also having more equipment in the tank, I thought I would try the DIY.
I guess if I don't get sufficient results then I'll look into building a
reactor.

Old 13-01-2004, 02:33 AM
Djay

If your CO2 is having a positive effect, you *will* notice a drop in PH.
Does the return of your sump flow beneath the waterline or is the return
airborne? If it's airborne you will have a lot of surface disturbance and
CO2 loss at the surface.

Old 19-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Evergreen

The return of the sump is below the waterline, but not far. Maybe two
inches from the surface. There is some surface disturbance, but I don't
think it is a lot of disturbance. I'm not sure if it is too much agitation
to keep the CO2 in the water.