GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Live plants and Plecos (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/50046-live-plants-plecos.html)

nuchumYussel 11-01-2004 02:13 AM

Live plants and Plecos

I was told that a common pleco will eat live plants. is this true?

Evan

Paul 11-01-2004 03:12 AM

Live plants and Plecos

"nuchumYussel" wrote in message
om...
I was told that a common pleco will eat live plants. is this true?

Evan

No, at least mine doesn't.
--
Paul

Dinky 11-01-2004 07:33 AM

Live plants and Plecos

"nuchumYussel" wrote in message
om...
I was told that a common pleco will eat live plants. is this true?

Evan

My plecos regularily chew all the blooms off my anubias. Other than that,
the only damage they seem to do is digging things up when they get bigger,
over 7 inches or so.

jefferson 11-01-2004 02:05 PM

Live plants and Plecos

YOu may wnat to give your plecos a treat with a slice of cucumber tho.
jefferson

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:43:10 -0800, "Paul"
wrote:

. com...

Dunter Powries 12-01-2004 08:29 PM

Live plants and Plecos

nuchumYussel wrote in message
om...
I was told that a common pleco will eat live plants. is this true?

Yes. My common pl*cos 'scrape' any broadleaf plants such as swords and
anubias. Having large pieces of wood in the tank will greatly reduce but
probably not entirely eliminate damage to plants.

Dick 13-01-2004 11:32 AM

Live plants and Plecos

My Clown Loaches get to the blossoms long before my Plecos find them.
I love the blooms, but don't get to watch them long! Darn it!

Strange about the digging, while my Plecos are not 7 inches they are
big and seem very gentle when vacumming the leaves. Never have shown
interest in rooting at the stems.

Jim Morcombe 14-01-2004 06:42 AM

Live plants and Plecos

Like any fish, they eat what tastes best. If you feed them some boiled
vegies, they will usually leave the plants alone.

However, I just planted a nice looking fern type plant and my bristlenoses
completely ate it within a week.

Jim