Old 12-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Mike

Default Eclipse 12 - Amazon sword unhealthy

I just planted an amazon sword in a newly set up eclipse 12 gallon
tank. Within 24 hours some of the leaves turned dark green in spots
and some other leaves turned clear in spots. I also noticed some mild
brownish color on some of the leaves, but I planted it in flourite
substrate and when digging the holes some dust came up so I assume
that the brown is from the flourite dust.

I have three happy tetras in the tank so I assume that the water is
fine, though I haven't been able to test it. What could cause the
amazon sword to start dieing so quickly?

Mike
Old 13-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Dinky

"Mike" wrote in message
m...
I just planted an amazon sword in a newly set up eclipse 12 gallon
tank. Within 24 hours some of the leaves turned dark green in spots
and some other leaves turned clear in spots.

Keep in mind, that most aquatic plants are grown "emersed", that is, they
are frown in the open air like a houseplant. The leaves that the plant
shoots up when in the air are different from the ones it will grown when
submerged. The original leaves will likely die.
That said, the die-off is rather quick for this to be the issue, IMO.
Perhaps others can offer something more useful....

billy

Old 15-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Paige

I also have an Eclipse 12 and the lighting in these tanks is not strong
enough to support an amazon sword.

We've had great luck with crypt's and anubias with the 13 watt light that
comes with the tank.

Paige

Old 20-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Mike

"Paige" wrote in message ink.net...
I also have an Eclipse 12 and the lighting in these tanks is not strong
enough to support an amazon sword.

We've had great luck with crypt's and anubias with the 13 watt light that
comes with the tank.

Paige

The plant seems to be comming back. It has some new leaves growing at
the bottom and its started some off shoots close by. I trimmed some of
the dead leaves and it looks much better now.

Only thing chemically I noticed was that the Alkalinity was low, but
the pH, Nitrate, Nitrite, and Hardness were fine.

Does anyone have a good resource to learn about alkalinity/buffering?