Old 15-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Anthony Carabello

Default problem with amazon sword..please help

I have about six very large amazon sword plants in the background of a
heavily planted 65-gallon freshwater aquarium. About two weeks ago, I
noticed that all of the leaves on two of the swordplants were turning
white. These plants have healthy stems,roots and veins and its' only
their leaves that are losing color. The plants receive proper lighting
and fertilization, so I can't understand what the problem is,
especially since the other swords are doing well. Does anyone have any
advice?
Thanks,
Anthony Carabello
Old 15-01-2004, 02:05 AM
Dinky

"Anthony Carabello" wrote in message
om...
I have about six very large amazon sword plants in the background of a
heavily planted 65-gallon freshwater aquarium. About two weeks ago, I
noticed that all of the leaves on two of the swordplants were turning
white. These plants have healthy stems,roots and veins and its' only
their leaves that are losing color. The plants receive proper lighting
and fertilization, so I can't understand what the problem is,
especially since the other swords are doing well. Does anyone have any
advice?
Thanks,
Anthony Carabello

When you say "proper", what do you mean?
Are the two plants with problems very close to one another? Perhaps a spot
in the sub has gone anerobic. They may also have contracted a disease that
simply hasn't spread to the others yet.

hth

billy

Old 15-01-2004, 08:42 PM
Anthony Carabello

"Dinky" wrote in message link.net...
[...]

Billy
By "proper" I mean that I use "Kent" fertilizers weekly to supply the
plants with micro-nutrients and trace minerals. The plants also
receive about twelve hours of light per day from full spectrum bulbs
that total 110 watts.The effected plants are on opposite sides of the
aquarium...What I am concerned about most is the disease that you
mentioned. Do you have any ideas about which plant diseases match the
symptoms I mentioned? The leaves are uniformly white, almost
transparent, but the veins are still green, and the roots and stems
are still healthy. I am somewhat of a novice with freshwater plants,
so any ideas would help... (i have never posted in these groups
before, so i apoligize if my post is not displayed properly)
Thanks Anthony Carabello
Old 16-01-2004, 03:25 AM
Dinky

"Anthony Carabello" wrote in message
om...
By "proper" I mean that I use "Kent" fertilizers weekly to supply the
plants with micro-nutrients and trace minerals. The plants also
receive about twelve hours of light per day from full spectrum bulbs
that total 110 watts.The effected plants are on opposite sides of the
aquarium...What I am concerned about most is the disease that you
mentioned. Do you have any ideas about which plant diseases match the
symptoms I mentioned? The leaves are uniformly white, almost
transparent, but the veins are still green, and the roots and stems
are still healthy. I am somewhat of a novice with freshwater plants,
so any ideas would help... (i have never posted in these groups
before, so i apoligize if my post is not displayed properly)
Thanks Anthony Carabello

Your post is displayed just fine.
Hopefully LeighMo or someone will reply, as I can't be any more help. Sorry.

Old 16-01-2004, 07:34 AM
N. Wise

"Anthony Carabello" wrote in message
om...

By "proper" I mean that I use "Kent" fertilizers weekly to supply the
plants with micro-nutrients and trace minerals. The plants also
receive about twelve hours of light per day from full spectrum bulbs
that total 110 watts.The effected plants are on opposite sides of the
aquarium...What I am concerned about most is the disease that you
mentioned. Do you have any ideas about which plant diseases match the
symptoms I mentioned? The leaves are uniformly white, almost
transparent, but the veins are still green, and the roots and stems
are still healthy. I am somewhat of a novice with freshwater plants,
so any ideas would help... (i have never posted in these groups
before, so i apoligize if my post is not displayed properly)
Thanks Anthony Carabello

What about your snails (assuming you have some)? How are they doing? Have
their shells turned white? Have you had a lot die off?

If you answered yes to any of the preceeding, you may have a calcium
deficiency. The symptoms of the swords are similar to extreme calcium
deficiency.

N. Wise
http://members.aol.com/nwwise01/

Old 16-01-2004, 08:47 AM
Amit

Anthony,
I had just the same problem with 2 Amazon swords of mine...
Haven't reading the replies of others Here is what I did:
Since the plants were introduced to a well established tank - they were
competing for nutriments....
I have noticed the same problem of your - leaves were losing color - turning
white and than dying off...
1. For each plant use jobes spike - the plant is mostly root feeder (you can
cut them to half and put it on the gravel. (They are excellent resource for
Potassium)
2. Make sure the plants have plenty of space for them selves only.
3. You can also increase the amount of fertilizers + iron.
4. You did not mention anything about CO2 - This might really help here.
5. Make sure the lights reach the plants and not being blocked in the
way....
6. Good luck...
(I can send you some photos of my swords before and after ;-))

Amit