Old 28-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Scott

Default 37 gallon aquarium pro's/con's?

I currently have a 29 gallon aquarium setup as a planted community tank (20w
fluorescent bulb, no CO2, liquid supplement fertilizer only). I'm
considering purchasing one of those wrought iron stands designed to hold 2
aquariums. Initially, I was just going to put a 2nd 29 gal tank on the
bottom, but then my LFS showed me a 37 gal tank that would fit on the top
shelf. So now I'm wondering about using the 37 gal as my new planted tank
and converting the 29 gal into a non-planted community tank. Are there any
advantages or disadvantages to a 37 gallon tank over a 29? I asked my LFS
this question and they only mentioned the issue of getting plants and fish
that will inhabit the top third of the tank... recommended tapegrass and
hatchetfish for this.

I also was looking into getting a 55/65w PC flourescent lighting setup for
my planted tank. If I happen to use a 37 gallon tank then my guess is I'll
need more lighting, correct?

Thanks for any info,
~Scott

Old 28-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Dick

n Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:16:57 -0600, "Scott"
wrote:

[...]

I have a 29 and 75 gallon tank in my collection. My biggest problem
with larger tanks is the depth. In the 75 gallon I have the tank top
in my arm pit. Otherwise I like the larger tanks. I have 3 ten
gallon tanks. They are easier to reach, but the light hoods on the
tens and the 29 don't leave much of an opening to put my arm in. I
have to move the hood off the tank to do serious stuff.

Compromise, compromise, compromise.
Old 28-01-2004, 07:16 PM
Kay

Scott wrote:

[...]

I have a 37 and the height is a problem for plants, I added compact
florecents 65 watts, and can grow all med to low light plants, I'm not
sure If I could grow high light plants would have to upgrade the
lighting I think. I love the tank! I hated the problems witht he plants
and brown algae, but the new lights stopped that. If I were to do again,
I would have just picked the 29, I treat the 37 like a 29 anyways I have
a pair of kribs in it.

Kay

Old 30-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Scott

"Kay" wrote in message
Scott wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I'm now thinking about building a simple canopy(the kind that's split
in two with a piano hinge in the middle) and installing a 2 x 55w compact
fluorescent kit from AH Supply. Depending on how things worked out, I might
also consider DIY CO2 for the tank also. Right now I do have a serious
problem with that nasty brown algae that seems to coat just about everything
in the tank if I don't scrub it off. I really hope the enhanced lighting
from AH Supply helps with that problem.

~Scott

Old 30-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Dunter Powries

Scott wrote in message
Scott wrote:

[...]

The Good News: the increased lighting levels will definitely eliminate the
brown algae (diatoms).

The Bad News: if you don't start the CO2 at the same time as the new
lights, you will rapidly encounter all the other kinds.

Old 30-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Scott

What about the Seachem Flourish Excel? I've looked at that and read many
different opinions of it on the NG's. Would it be enough to balance out the
increased lighting or would full-blown CO2 be an absolute must. I feel
comfortable with DIY CO2 except for the risk of pH swings in my otherwise
already acidic water (varies around 6.5-6.8 according to my test strips).

~Scott

Old 02-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Kay

Scott wrote:

[...]

Scott,
Well it did for me at only 55 ot 65 now they changed the standard here.
I struggled with it for so long. Adding the light was the best thing I
did. I tried the DIY C02 in that 37 and I didn't notice a jump in the
growth rate in the plants, but I have alot of fast growing plants anyhow
for fear of the brown algae somehow coming back.

Kat

Old 02-02-2004, 06:35 AM
Kay

Scott wrote:

[...]

Hmmm Adding the lights did get rid of the brown algae, but I have no
other algae problem, one thing I did was fill the tank full of plants
lots of them, half of them fast growing plants. I have the light on 12
hours a day.

Kay

Old 02-02-2004, 06:37 AM
Kay

Scott wrote:

[...]

I have used florish excel and it was awesome, I am out right now and
local fish stores do not carry it. My plants grow quicker with this
product. Right now I use Florish and the Iron for the swords. I have to
say I don't follow directions, I use less then recomended. especially
the iron.

Kay

Old 02-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Scott

"Kay" wrote in message

Scott wrote:

[...]

Kay, thanks for all the info! I'm definitely going to try the Flourish Excel
now and see how that works out along with the huge increase in lighting.

~Scott