Old 28-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Dacaprice

Default rotting moneywort

I have a few moneyworts in my 20 gal planted tank. After a while they
all seem to rot in the section of the stem closest to the gravel.
Other than that one spot, they all seem healthy; solid green stems and
leave, white roots growing from the stem (are they roots? if not what
are they?) I have a 6700K 65 watt flourescent light so I don't think
lighting is a problem and I haven't had any problems with any other
plants. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 29-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Dunter Powries

Dacaprice wrote in message
m...
I have a few moneyworts in my 20 gal planted tank. After a while they
all seem to rot in the section of the stem closest to the gravel.
Other than that one spot, they all seem healthy; solid green stems and
leave, white roots growing from the stem (are they roots? if not what
are they?) I have a 6700K 65 watt flourescent light so I don't think
lighting is a problem and I haven't had any problems with any other
plants. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are several plants commonly called 'moneywort,' at least one of which
isn't a true aquatic. One used to grow in my backyard in New England. You
might try identifying yours in a plant manual (or online at a vendor site)
and posting it's latin name.

Many aquatic plants have quite fragile stems since they're not weight
bearing. If your substrate is gravel, particularly a large, heavy grain,
you may be damaging the stem when you plant in your cuttings. Or you may be
pinching them too tightly when you insert them, thereby crushing the stem.

When I plant a cutting, I hold it gently between my thumb and first three
fingers. I then insert my FINGERS into the substrate and, while gradually
releasing the plant, madly backfill with my little finger. Or something
like that. I guess it's hard to describe.

The exact opposite may be true: you may have a fine substrate and, when you
plant cuttings, you don't remove the bottom leaves which are buried and
which then decay causing damaging to the lower part of the plant. Many
people (myself included) with a coarse substrate will leave the lower leaves
or a portion of them attached to anchor the cutting. This isn't a problem
with gravel because the decaying material can circulate out but a fine
material can trap the gasses.

If you have cichlids, corys or botias, or anything else which is
particularly active at crown level, your citizens may be implicated, I
suppose.

I'd start by identifying the Latin name for the plant.

kush

Old 29-01-2004, 02:00 AM
Marcus Fox

"Dunter Powries" fech.redcap@spedlin wrote in message
Dacaprice wrote in message
m...
[...]

The moneywort I have is Bacopa monnieri, and it floats unless I anchor it
with lead weights. Perhaps the OP is doing the same, hence crushing the base
of the stem and then it rots. I suggest the OP type Bacopa monnieri into
google and confirm with a picture. He could also try using some foam to
cushion the stem against the lead.

Marcus

Old 29-01-2004, 06:16 PM
CS

Hi,

Are these plants relatively new to your tank? I have noticed that some
plants exhibit a type of shock where they seem to rot brom the bottom.
Eventually, given good light, water conditions and supplements, they will
recover. In the meantime, remove any of the rotted stems and replant them
at the nearest root node.

I hope this helps.

Lowcoaster
m...

Old 30-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Dacaprice

There are several plants commonly called 'moneywort,' at least one of which
isn't a true aquatic. One used to grow in my backyard in New England. You
might try identifying yours in a plant manual (or online at a vendor site)
and posting it's latin name.

The moneywort in my tank are Bacopa monnieri, if that changes anything
you've said. Thanks for the info!

Chris
Old 30-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Dunter Powries

Dacaprice wrote in message
m...
There are several plants commonly called 'moneywort,' at least one of

which
isn't a true aquatic. One used to grow in my backyard in New England.

You
might try identifying yours in a plant manual (or online at a vendor

site)
and posting it's latin name.

The moneywort in my tank are Bacopa monnieri, if that changes anything
you've said. Thanks for the info!

B. monnieri is a true aquatic, but it has an exceptionally fragile stem.
I'd guess that you're crushing it when you're placing your cuttings. Sound
right?

Most aquatic plants which are propagated by cuttings will do best if each
stem is planted individually, allowing for greater light penetration and
water circulation. B. monnieri is an exception and looks best planted as a
group. So, if you plant it as a group of, say, eight to twelve cuttings,
they may help to support each other. But be GENTLE.

kush

Old 02-02-2004, 05:12 AM
Bassett

I know what your referring to, I have the same problem, I don,t think its
rough handling,, The plant seems to establish itself, new growth, wether
there planted in clumps or single stems,, Then after a while they go brown
at the base and simply rot of, and float to the surface, where they grow,
more roots, if you replant them in the gravel, the cycle begins again.. The
fish in the tank are Angles and a few small Tetra's, and a small Bristle
Nose.. Nothing that would attack the plant growth,

bassett